How do I fix a java.net.unknownhostexception.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Omega001
Kobold

How do I fix a java.net.unknownhostexception.

Post by Omega001 »

The group needs to connect to the DM's computer, he set's up the server, gives us the port and external IP address. But we can't get to it and we get a message saying:

java.net.UnknownHostException:-ip address-

We don't understand how we can sort this as we have the IP address. That should be the host.

We are using direct connect.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: How do I fix a java.net.unknownhostexception.

Post by aliasmask »

Have him go through these steps first:

Windows Users Guide for Starting your First Server

Omega001
Kobold

Post by Omega001 »

I tried all that. Didn't work.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Giving us as much information as possible would be a good place to start when seeking help.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Going to need a little more input than that to help out.

Does he have a router? Is his modem a router? Does he have access to the modem/router? Is he using the MapToolLauncher? Is it configured with the correct path to javaw.exe? Does his local ip, match the ip being forwarded. Did he restart his network adapter after changing settings? Can he connect to himself with a 2nd instance of MapTool as a player? Is the UPnP checkbox checked when starting the server?

This is all in the post in some form or another. If he can't connect to himself, then his router isn't configured properly. Make sure the correct file for the Java SE is being allowed through windows firewall.

I suggest just going over the steps again and note what was done and what doesn't work when.

edit:
After the server is started, click connection information and write down those 4 lines, then run report under Help and post your results. Additionally, you could run ipconfig /all in a dos command window and copy all the text and post that too. If you want to go one step farther, log on to the router with the ip forwarding and write down the settings you have for your MapTool forwarding. This should cover all the ip-related bases.

wyrmwood_lives
Cave Troll

Post by wyrmwood_lives »

In case someone comes by this error, I had a player unable to connect with this error. She was on our chat, but on her laptop. Turns out her wifi was turned off on her desktop :-). All good after she turned that back on.

Return to “MapTool”