Make a NPC token visible to only one player

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Make a NPC token visible to only one player

Post by rgwynnjr »

Is there a way to make a token visible to only one player due to invisibility and that player has the Warlock see invisibility incantation or another class via spell, etc?

Update: The only way I can think is to give ownership of the token to the player too with visible to owners only checked on (one without any framework stat info) and the other players would not see it.
Yeah... I'm a Druid. No... I don't hung trees, I kick a**.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Re: Make a NPC token visible to only one player

Post by mfrizzell »

That's the only way I know.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

Check out Lindsays 3.5/PF FW which uses a avatar token to do this. Aliasmask I think has a similar way to handle this with a avatar.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Post by rgwynnjr »

Since I play in a group with Aliasmask, I am using his framework for building my Pathfinder campaign file, but I don't see a macro for an avatar token if it is a macro.

I also don't see that on Lindsay's 3.86.03 or 3.87.02 framework either.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I only talked about ways to do it, but never wrote anything. But something came up in a game recently that may spur me in to writing something. It would essentially attach the movement of a token to another token and handle it's visibility to other tokens based on some settings. This would be good for special effect templates, squeezing, invisibility and pseudo-elevation effects.

Lindsay does have a way of handling invisibility in his core, but I've had problems with it and I didn't really investigate why, so I just removed it from my variation to save on button space.

rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Post by rgwynnjr »

Are you referring to the aura template token you created the other night that would have it follow and stay centered on the token it is associated with?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

rgwynnjr wrote:Are you referring to the aura template token you created the other night that would have it follow and stay centered on the token it is associated with?
Right. The one problem I can see when making the templates is if the template is static or sizes with the target. For example, darkness says it radiates shadowy illumination from an object touched. What if the object is large? Is it 20ft from all points of the object, or just the point touched, or the center of the object? Is the space of the object included in the radius?

rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Post by rgwynnjr »

aliasmask wrote:
rgwynnjr wrote:Are you referring to the aura template token you created the other night that would have it follow and stay centered on the token it is associated with?
Right. The one problem I can see when making the templates is if the template is static or sizes with the target. For example, darkness says it radiates shadowy illumination from an object touched. What if the object is large? Is it 20ft from all points of the object, or just the point touched, or the center of the object? Is the space of the object included in the radius?
Never thought with a darkness spell to cast it on an object larger then a small object. I guess a lot of the rules where written to deal with working inside of one 5 foot square space. I always questioned does an aura start with the corners of the square and work its way out from there, but then I thought that would mean something tiny or smaller would not be affected by the aura when it enters your square to melee attack normally.

I would say that it would make sense to go with the point touched and center it on that 5 foot square for the aura. So the other squares of a large object in size would be included in the radius.

for example:
xx
xA

(A) being the arua point centered in that square and (x) being the other squares taken up by the object included in the radius. If the person casting was on top of the object then it could be centered like the example below.

If the darkness spell was cast on an object that is carried by a large creature, I am assuming the aura starts in the middle point of the 4 squares.

Of course not sure how that plays out for you keeping the aura template token moving correctly with the other token.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I don't know, it's a tough call. Compare darkness description to Invisibility Sphere where it specifically says it effects everyone within 10ft of the creature or object touched, so that means the size of the sphere does depend on the size of the creature or object. It's easier to have one size and centered on creature so that it's less effective for larger creatures.

rgwynnjr
Cave Troll

Post by rgwynnjr »

Personally, I would fine with either way. I guess I would leave it for the GM to decide on.

I would love to see the way to handle the invisibility for only the players that could see the NPC token in a better way than giving the player stat-less token ownership with visible to owner only on. Will gladly live with it though if it ends up being the only way.

Of course you have my thanks and probably a lot of others in the community for the past/future great creations you come up with for MapTool.

Return to “MapTool”