MapTool Version 1.3.b87 Popup Bug

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Avotas
Cave Troll

MapTool Version 1.3.b87 Popup Bug

Post by Avotas »

Hey Guys,

I noticed that some popup windows, triggered by macros such as Active Mods in MT1.3b87.02 Campaign Framework (LATEST VERSION) fill the entire length of the screen from top to bottom. Naturally this makes selecting the OK and Cancel buttons neigh impossible unless I move the taskbar. Did anyone come up with a fix for this?

Software Info:
MapTool Version: 1.3.b87
Windows 7, 64x
Java: 1.6.0_33

Best Regards,
Avotas

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: MapTool Version 1.3.b87 Popup Bug

Post by aliasmask »

I believe so. You can test it with b88.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Isn't build 88 severely broken? =)

-Avotas

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Post by CoveredInFish »

b88 includes many fixes for problems in b87. Sadly it has a new bug that especially makes map-building near impossible - and so we'll get a b89 in the near future.

Testing whether a bug in b87 is already fixed in b88 makes sense.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Sweet. I will check it out. Danka.

-Avotas

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Ok, got 88 up and running, same issue. The maximum window size causes the macro popup window to be concealed under the start menu. Sadly I can't check 86, because the file is built for 87.

-Avotas

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Try maximizing your MT window and see if that works. If not, then try auto-hide on your windows toolbar.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

The popup window acts independently of the MT window size. That is to say, no matter what size the MT window is, be it maximized or restored down (floating), the macro always appears to be concealed by the start menu. However I think I am making a little headway, when I lower the resolution of the desktop the problem gets worse, moving the window more and more off screen.

Additional testing suggests the popup window is set for a vertical resolution of ~900 pixels.

I rolled back to MT1.3b86.03 Campaign Framework (Old Version), same problem so I can eliminate the framework because that was not an issue until I upgraded.

-Avotas

neofax
Great Wyrm

Post by neofax »

There is a key combination in Windows that will allow you to move the dialog further up so you can see the bottom of the dialog or you can click on the bottom item in the list and click again to uncheck then hit tab and then enter to make the macro work. Or, there is a macro button that will allow you to create single buttons to toggle on/off active mods. Ot you could run linux which doesn't have this problem.
Time-Zone information UTC -5

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

I know this is a free and unfunded project, and I appreciate the honest feedback and workarounds. However the solution to the problem shouldn't cause the user to perform any special or unique tasks such as hiding or moving the windows start menu, or moving a dialog off screen (also fixes the problem), or switching the operating system. More so this is something fairly visible and should have been caught in a Beta / Field Test release.

With that said, I also know (because I am/was on the tester team) that finding people to test code and patches is fairly hard. That is partly related to having to build our own releases. If you just linked a .zip called RC_X.X-RCX everyone could be on the same page and nothing "special" would be needed. I think turnout would be much better. Make a post on the Testers Form, to see it secret if need be.

Just my two cents, not that it's worth much. I really do support this project, I love the product, but stuff like this really gets me down.

-Avotas

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

One solution is to put the other items on a different tab so they don't cause the frame to get too long. When populating the tabs, determine the max list length and then create new tabs with a counter (ie Spell 1, Spells 2,...).

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

I'd like to look into the issue but I have no idea which campaign framework that is and which steps to take to reproduce.

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=19985

Works just out of the box. Jump to the Libraries and Utils map, select a Sample Pathfinder PC, impersonate it, then select Active Mods. You should see the problem right away.

Note: It's present in other macro's as well, active mods is just the easiest to see. Notice that the Spells tab does have a scrolling window.

-Avotas

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

its a pretty specific issue with a combination of checkboxes and tabs. If you eg add 1 text entry to the long list of checkboxes then the issue does not occur.

Anyway, attached is a token with one macro that contains the bare minimum to emulate this bug. Ideal for debugging purposes. Mucho Gracias for tackling this as its really annoying!
It contains 2 macros one with the issue and one without (by adding the text input)

By the way, thats the easiest workaround: just add one bogus entry that is NOT a checkbox and the issue won't occur. Check out the rptok to see what I mean.
Attachments
input issue.rptok
(72.28 KiB) Downloaded 99 times

Avotas
Cave Troll

Post by Avotas »

Thanks for the file Wolp42! I hope it helps someone figure out what is going on, you made impressive progress already =)

-Avotas

Return to “MapTool”