[BUG] Vision fails with any topography to top and left of to

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

[BUG] Vision fails with any topography to top and left of to

Post by Matrissa the Enchantress »

I made a map of the interior of a building that is basically a rectangle subdivided in a few rooms, plus some blocked in regions representing fireplaces. Topography has been added along all walls except for doorways and blocks out the fireplaces

All tokens have been given a vision setting, and hovering over any that are placed in the middle of of the room, or only with topographic lines immediately to the right or bottom of the token (including corners to the bottom right of the token), works as expected.

However, all the tokens that have a topographic line above or to the left of the token (including corners to the top right of the token) do not display vision indicators when the mouse hovers over them. Vision will return to normal behaviour if the tokens are moved so that they no longer have topographic lines immediatly above or to the left.

I did discover that, if I took the tokens off "snap to grid" that if I moved them just very slightly down and/or to the right the vision would start working again. But if I moved it back (even while keeping snapping off) as soon as the top or left edge of the token touched a topographic line, vision breaks again. Sliding it further back, so that the edge crossed the topographic line, caused vision to return, only this time it would show as if the token was entirely on the OTHER SIDE of that line.

Changing the token's size to small didn't stop this bug from occuring while snap to grid was left on.

Changing the token to an object, free sizing it to just smaller than a medium size (one square), and turning it back into a token also didn't help.

This behaviour is not conistent across all maps. I created another map with a 3x3 square room while trying to narrow down what caused the issue but discovered that, in this case, I could put the tokens anywhere and vision worked without problem.

I can send the campaign file to anyone who wants to look at it.

~Matrissa~
Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons
for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Blakey
Dragon

Post by Blakey »

I think I know what's happening here. You are setting your vision to round-blocky and the default location for it to base itself from is the top left corner of the square in which your token sits. So the vision starting point finds itself exactly underneath the LBL blue line and hence you can see nothing. darn annoying and one I have come across.

My solution is to change all by vision creations to 'Round' which is centered in the middle of the token's square. Say you want to implement darkvision you have to give it a radius of 63 feet in order to make it approximate 60' outwards from the edge of a 5' creature. If you have a 10' creature then 65' darkvision equals 60' from its edge.

Hope this makes sense and helps you.

Cheers
Blakey
The guy in the green hat.

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

Absolutely makes sense.

It's still a bug though. ;-)

It sounds like the "center point" for for "blocky round" vision needs to allow a choice for location OR it needs to be moved in slightly from the corner, so that, if a token is snapped to the grid, it's always a little bit inside the cell from the edges. Perhaps it could be set based on whether the shape of the token is defined as "round" or "square" or "top down". For round, put it on the edge of the circle closest to the corner, for square, put it in the corner, for top down, put it in the corner closest to the token's current facing.

Or something.

~M~

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

Yup, it's a bug, but it's not a particularly easy one to solve. Look for it to evolve over 1.3 development
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Matrissa the Enchantress
Giant

On a related topic, shouldn't vision settings be smart enough to take the size of the token into consideration?

That said, I suppose there may be systems that do designate vision from the center of a creature rather than it's "edge" (I'm really only familiar with D&D/d20) so perhaps a GM should be able to set a per-campaign (or maybe even per-map) option that determines whether the size of a creature should or shouldn't be taken into consideration when calculating the extent of its vision.

Just a thought. :)

~M~

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

Yep, we plan on flushing out how vision works as well in 1.3. There will probably be an option in the preferences for it to come from center of token or a selected apex or all apexs. Something like that.
~Giliath

GreenMan
Cave Troll

Post by GreenMan »

While we are on this subject... I was also playing with vision with objects... ideally trying to create an atmosphere in a tavern with torches lighting part of the area and thereby creating shadowy areas. After I assigned vision to the objects, I was unable to use Cntrl-I to show the area after the FOW was turned on. I want the players to be able to see all lit areas... not just in the vision assigned to them. Concept: A lit area outside their torchlight range should be visible down a hallway... Is there a workaround for this that anyone has discovered?

Also... since I know vision is going to be reworked in 1.3, are there any plans to work in concentric rings of declining brightness... i.e., normal vision for 20 feet, 50% vision for 5 feet, then 25% vision for 5 feet so we can creat the illusion of dissipating light? Of course... blended light would look alot cooler than just changing the % every X feet. Related to the above paragraph... you could link the players to standing light sources and create shadowy areas between the two.... meaning... if a player had a torch that reached 15 feet... he should have partial vision at 20... then, if another wall mounted torch were 50 feet away... it would also shed light 15 feet, with shadows at 20... but there would also be partial vision in the 10 feet between the two torches.

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

GreenMan wrote:are there any plans to work in concentric rings of declining brightness
Yup :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

Return to “MapTool”