mouse cursor doesnt have the right position

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
orchater
Kobold

mouse cursor doesnt have the right position

Post by orchater »

Good morning,

yesterday i played in my RPG group with, At one point/time my mouse cursor doenst fit with the the position where i have to click at menu options to execute the menu options/functions. Therefore i clikced some distance below the menu options to execute them. Is this Bug known? My maptool version is 1.3.b87 and i am running Linux Debian Mint.

Here are some Debug informations
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=8bA16wZ5

regards Markus

Lee
Dragon

Re: mouse cursor doesnt have the right position

Post by Lee »

Can't really say right now. Thanks for the debug info. What would be extra helpful is if you could supply screenshots since it's a GUI problem you encountered. Also, did it happen more than once, or just that one time? In other words, is it replicable?

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

Also: Did this happen with all menus? I.e. was the main menu bar affected or only right click menus or both? Did your window controls work proplerly?

I've noticed that you are running Linux. This could be Java bug.

orchater
Kobold

Post by orchater »

Here is a recorded video of this maptool bug.

regards Markus

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Hm. Seems more like a video driver problem and/or mouse driver problem.

The OS should be handling mouse interrupts and sending them to the X server. It's his job to convert them into screen coordinates and pass along to the application (the JVM in this case). And then the JVM checks its internal list of where menus and menu items are on the screen and decides which ones to activate.

For the mouse to be out of sync would require a problem either in the mouse driver or video driver.

To the OP: Try telling the GUI to use a generic VGA or SVGA video driver. If the problem persists, then it's likely the mouse driver instead.

orchater
Kobold

Post by orchater »

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Do try what Azhrei suggested and switch your mouse driver to the Generic one; if you haven't already, that is. Let us know how it goes.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

I can see that the further towards the left of your screen move your mouse, the greater the distortion distance.

This is likely to be caused by an input driver or graphics driver, because to get this specific behavior, the resolutions they both believe you are using are different. In your case, the input driver believes the resolution is greater than the actual resolution. (otherwise your image would not fit your screen correctly).

I had this problem once before, and it required me to uninstall and re-install my mouse driver (despite being a plug and play usb mouse). A temporary solution I found at the time was to change my screen resolution smaller and back out again, which seemed to update the driver with the correct resolution you are using.

Not sure this will help you, but it's all I have to add to your troubleshooting.

orchater
Kobold

Post by orchater »

I dont think that my touchpad on my Thinkpad T510 is the problem. This problem appears randomly and only with maptool, not with other programs. I have the graphics driver modul <i915>. For my Synaptics Touchpad i have not running the <synaptics> modul, but only the <psmouse> module. My laptop runs really really fine.

regards Markus

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

orchater wrote:I dont think that my touchpad on my Thinkpad T510 is the problem. This problem appears randomly and only with maptool, not with other programs. I have the graphics driver modul <i915>. For my Synaptics Touchpad i have not running the <synaptics> modul, but only the <psmouse> module. My laptop runs really really fine.

regards Markus
It is a driver problem. The issue is that the Java runtime environment doesn't scale the mouse input the way the OS expects. If you search the forum for "Intellimouse driver" you'll probably find the correct threads that report this.

But if you won't try using a "generic" mouse driver as a test, then there's no other help I can offer.

Return to “MapTool”