MapTool Status?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Spyre2000
Kobold

MapTool Status?

Post by Spyre2000 »

So I haven't played VTT games in a few years and having fond memories of MT I was considering trying to push my group to give it a try even though they are leaning towards Roll20 because of the fancy looking UI and voice chat, even though we all use TS to chat already.

Anyhow more to the point. The site appears a bit more deserted then I recall and almost like it's been a bit abandon. The last News item is over a year old. The latest build b88 has "Do not use" in the name. And when I check the announcements there is mention that MT has a problem in win7 with java7. Well most of my friends have long since upgraded to win7 and do tend to stay up to date on java versions.

The post that mentions this java 7 issue though says it will be fixed in b88, yet that version seems to be marked as do no use and I don't see a b89 or mention of one in the works.

Also having been a while since I played MT I do recall the days back in b50s when there was talk of making 1.3 stable and then pushing forward to 1.4. Yet I see a post on the main page about the stable release being b66 yet it continued to advance after that point. And there is no real mention of 1.4 or any upcoming version.

So basically I was wandering how things are going, both in the community and with the developers. Cause to someone just stopping by it doesn't not seem nearly that active. I'm going by the last post dates on many of the threads.

Has some new VTT shown up that's drawing away a bunch of people? I recall looking around when I first got into VTT gaming and didn't find anything that came close to MT in terms of functionality and features.

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Re: MapTool Status?

Post by Bone White »

I have experienced no problems with MapTool using the most recent of the java updates, ever since the problem was first discovered. It's not quite as widespread a problem as you appear to realise.

The simple reason why, is because while the developers want to start work towards a javascript run version of MapTool, there is a feature freeze on this version. Only a few (as far as I know) are putting effort into the new one, much less than the original MapTool in terms of coding hours per week, therefore progress is a lot slower than it was before.

I personally am relatively new to MapTool and cannot comment on previous activity. Unfortunately while I spend a reasonable part of my free time on MapTool, I have played 0 games, and there is 0 interest in my framework, so I'm not actually bringing in any new people to the community.

mfrizzell
Dragon

Post by mfrizzell »

Bone White wrote: Unfortunately while I spend a reasonable part of my free time on MapTool, I have played 0 games, and there is 0 interest in my framework, so I'm not actually bringing in any new people to the community.
I always assume you were building a personal framework for your group of players. Did you post your framework? Based on the questions and comments I've seen you make your framework sounds pretty complex and comprehensive.
DCI/RPGA# 7208328396 Skype ID mfrizzell77
Characters:
Strabor - Dwarf Avenger 5th Level
Tikkanan - Human Warlock 2nd Level
----------------------------------------------------
"People are more violently opposed to fur than leather because it's safer to harass rich women than motorcycle gangs."

Bone White
Great Wyrm

Post by Bone White »

Actually the sole reason I'm making it is to play it. I live in a very remote part of the uk and I'm far too anti-social to ever make friends to play this with. Unfortunately the online Alternity community have regressed into funny picture posting and talking about topical news, rather than any playing.

Yes I posted my framework, two people wanted to look at it, 0 gave any feedback.

Still, all the work I've put into it I've enjoyed, so it's not a complete loss.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

Spyre2000 wrote: So basically I was wandering how things are going, both in the community and with the developers. Cause to someone just stopping by it doesn't not seem nearly that active. I'm going by the last post dates on many of the threads.
I would say this forum is still very active, particularly support. At least, whenever I've posted an issue (whether general Maptool or specific Framework related) a helpful reply has always been quick to appear.

Others have commented on development, its still progressing. Just slowly.

Return to “MapTool”