What's up with MapTool development?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

What's up with MapTool development?

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

So:
  • -> no news on any fixes for three months,
    -> the last version was pulled,
    -> the available version is flakier than b68,
    -> the official discussion thread for the next update is closed
...is there any sign MapTool is not becoming abandonware?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: MapTool dead now?

Post by wolph42 »

LeopoldVonRanke wrote:So:
  • -> no news on any fixes for three months,
    -> the last version was pulled,
    -> the available version is flakier than b68,
    -> the official discussion thread for the next update is closed
...is there any sign MapTool is not becoming abandonware?
given the fact that there are many and lengthy discussion on the MT dev and its functionality, that there is at least one patch submitted each week, I would have to say: no.

LeopoldVonRanke
Giant

Re: MapTool dead now?

Post by LeopoldVonRanke »

wolph42 wrote:given the fact that there are many and lengthy discussion on the MT dev and its functionality, that there is at least one patch submitted each week, I would have to say: no.
Patches? Where are they? :shock:

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Attention: Windows Users using JAVA 7 with MapTool

Post by wolph42 »

Java patches for MT, thus their only available through eclipse. They are also regularly posted on this forum but I dont know whether that's a shielded section (eg testers only). Which might explain why you don't see anything happening.

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

Currently, as far as I understand, Azhrei is the only one who can publish new builds on the rptools website. So, since he's a bit preoccupied by his real life, new builds take a while. I think the elders are planning to move towards a more automated build that would allow for example something like nightly builds.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Nightly builds would be awesome :)

So are the Java 7 issues fixed with what is checked in? If so I'll nab it and start using/testing it.
-Jamz

tiorthan
Cave Troll

Post by tiorthan »

I'm not entirely sure what the contract violation exception is about but I suspect it complains that VisibleAreaSegment.equals() does not return true when VisibleAreaSegment.compareTo() returns 0.
If that is indeed the case, then the issue still exists in the current svn head revision.

PinkRose
Dragon

Post by PinkRose »

Wolph, Only Testers can see that forum.
Though, it's good to know that work is still going on.
If someone that is testing and can see builds being built, Azhari or someone else, could post a message in the announcement area that things are progressing, that would be swell.
We shouldn't have to come to a message about Java 7 to find the newest info on the latest build.
As it looks now, Maptool was finished in April, and no progress but a botched attempt in June has been made since then.
I think people are working hard, but it would be nice to know that for sure.
I am a special snowflake!

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I didn't want to comment when the discussion went off-topic, thinking someone else would point it out. Also, with the effort I see put in by the community in developing frameworks, drop-ins and art assets, I found it unfair to read someone write MT and abandonware in the same sentence.

IMO, nightly builds is a pipe dream for 1.3, and so are commits. We neither have the manpower or the time to commit new stuff at such a pace to an already mature project. Either a bi-weekly or monthly schedule would be more suitable; though a quarterly update would be the most realistic thing to set to a calendar. In any case, I predict that there are, at most, 2 more builds till the shop is closed on 1.3; and if people are willing to wait, then they can expect good things.

What I really wonder about is what people are actually expecting when they're looking for a new build. With the feature freeze and most work under the hood being bug and performance fixes, the side of MT that most people will end up using is about as good as it gets in b87.

If there is anything that more people can lend support to in getting a dynamic going, it is to work together in building a unified framework for whatever popular game they came here for; instead of relying on stuff made by others, or coming up with a self-rendition of a ruleset/framework. I'm sure all the offered frameworks here are of great quality, and that's amazing considering most of them are the work of individuals, but it's a different thing when like-minded people with diverse skills team up to make something. MT probably wouldn't have gotten this far without it.

Raising frameworks to "product level" is (what I think) the only real impediment to MT being really big; bigger than any VTT out there to be sure, even rising star Roll20. While it says 67,000 users on its homepage, I can't help but feel MT can top that, even with just 1.3.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I would be satisfied with b87 with UPnP and java 7 support. The rest is just icing on the cake.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@Jamz On this post, Craig mentioned at least one fix pertaining to Java 7 which he applied. If you got the latest commit he made, you likely have it in your checkout right now. I'll probably put in Java 7 around mid-week and look for anything broken. Also, can anyone check if UPnP is working in the dev version? The old router I have doesn't have the feature.

Furthermore, I think that thread I just linked to above is more appropriate for the current discussion than the one we're on.

Return to “MapTool”