MapTool Dev Build (testing, version 0.95) - Jan. 28, 2012

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Lee
Dragon

MapTool Dev Build (testing, version 0.95) - Jan. 28, 2012

Post by Lee »

Okay everybody, I've put together this MapTool build to help the core dev team in testing out stability, bugs, and behavior fixes. This incorporates all the latest relevant patches in the Testing section, as well as a fixed UPnP capability. While I did mention earlier that I'd do 2 builds, let's stick with one to focus testing.

The shared build uses the new cling library, whereas the other one uses the tried and tested sbbi-upnp library, which we already know works well. In the interest of 1.4, please help in seeing if this new library holds up as a viable replacement. With 5 new dependencies minus 2 old ones, we need to verify if adding on 3 (adding 10 MB to MT's size) is worth it. Currently, I wrote it to take advantage of cling's aggressive traversal and mapping. What this means is that it will send out a call for UPnP capable devices, and map the port on all devices in the chain that respond. Cleanup is as thorough as well, at least from what I've seen (yes, I finally did get a router).

There's a few more, not the least of which, is Java 7 compatibility. Now, on the issue of testing. All I can safely say for my part is to test the stuff I made patches for, as I can answer immediately if something is found broken. Check out the testing section for details on what these are.

Do try and break UPnP; I coded most of it when I was blind without a router, so I might have missed something even when my new router now reports proper mapping.

Since Azhrei/Craig rolled back MT from b88 to b87, I'm not sure how much of this changelog (b88 section) applies. If anyone can verify that those are intact, we'll all be laughing.

Lastly, one of the patches applied here was to fix a rather significant bug regarding path computation. As part of the fix, I had to make some changes to the Token class. This, "unfortunately", will trigger version checking in other versions of MapTool, making anything saved using this build unusable in lower versions of MapTool. With that being said, make sure to have backups of anything important you plan to run with this (or don't run anything important on it all), else these'll be lost to older MapTools. You have been warned :D What's good to know is that most, if not all, patches applied will likely make it into the next official build, so saves using this will be compatible with that future version (though maybe not that path fix, we'll see).

If anyone was wondering, I cleared this with Azhrei and got the green light. Happy holidays!

Download latest version here.

[spoiler=Version 0.2 - 0.3]#Properly patched code for dragging a token.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.3 - 0.4]# Patched the parser library and included it in this build. This was tiorthan's dollar character fix. If anyone has experience with the problem, now'd be a good time to test the fix
# Created a MapToolLauncher in jar form. I'm not sure if it's system agnostic since I used the resource that came with MapTool. Mac OS and Linux users, do try it out and see if it works
# UPnP discovery is now dynamic within a static window of 30 seconds; meaning if a device is found within the time frame, discovery will end and mapping will commence.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.4 - 0.5]# Added handling for UPnP cleanup when unexpected shutdowns occur where the application preferences for the current session were not saved/corrected.
# Completed path computation fix; path computation for unsnapped tokens will now show "footprints". Note that this is an approximated path based on the reflection of a token's own derived cell path, so there will be incongruent points; all points, however, fall within intersection area of the moving token. Standalone patch uploaded to Testing
# Properly built the rplib and parser libraries after seeing no reports of errors. This drastically lowers the impact of their size to the overall package.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.5 - 0.6]# hogtied the undo/redo process and placed a muddy boot on its head. Testing, with the intention of breaking it, required. Expected behavior is as follows:
    - undo/redo queue is per map.
    - fixed undo/redo command availability behavior; meaning undo only when there is something to be undone and redo when there is something to be redone. clear all only works for (all) GMs and is only available when a drawn item is present on the undo/redo queue of any client.
    - invoking a clearing clears all drawn items and suppresses everyone's undo/redo actions.

Test these expectations to see if they hold on your end.

# changed getImage to mirror requests discussed here
# MT window now in real maximized state. (a pet peeve of mine I fixed in my fork, might as well fix it here too)
# Applied a fix for tokens not appearing properly on campaign load, though fix is unverified since it's not happening to me anymore, even on official builds 87 and below. Do test it out and let me know if it works.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.6 - 0.6.1]# reverted back to original parser library after errors were encountered with a patch[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.6.1 - 0.7]# implemented the apache commons net library for MT's FTP classees
# reverted to latest official rplib library as a recent patch caused a Java 7 dependency
# updated to latest changes in MT repo (12/19/2012)
# added simple version checking to know when to apply Java 7 compatibility settings
# these changes make this build compatible with Java 6 and 7[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.7 - 0.8]# FTP now fully functional. Fixed the bug with regard to how MT checks for the asset difference between locations. The current implementation, however, relies on a non-persistent source that had to be initially generated by doing a transfer. This means that even if copies of local assets already exist on the other side, MT will say that everything needs to be transferred in order to make this list. This happens on every new MT session whenever the FTP functionality is used.

So I did one further and created a comparison process between the local and remote location which, IMO, is the correct way. Note, this was only implemented for FTP. I didn't look into the other parts where MT manages asset differences between client and repository locations. Also note that this will only work with hosts that support FTP.

This function can be found under File -> Export -> Update Campaign Repository. This will open a window to connect to an FTP server. The field up top holds a list of repositories used by a campaign. Clicking on an entry here will auto-populate some of the fields below. Again, not all repository locations support FTP so be advised. The second field is optional. The 3rd field is the hostname/ip address of the ftp server. The login credential fields are self-explanatory, these values are what you use to authenticate with the FTP server. The check box for "Create subdir" tells the program whether or not image assets should be placed into their own directory (currently named as date stamp), or are placed in the server root.

The best way to use this currently is to install a local FTP server (e.g. FileZilla) and have it host/point to a public cloud service folder (e.g. DropBox, SugarSync, Google Drive). I would suggest to install on the computer you're doing MT designing itself. This means you can use localhost or the ip 127.0.0.1 as FTP server hostname/ip. Whether or not you choose to have the FTP server service start automatically after reboot etc. is up to you; just remember to turn the service on when you want to transfer else you'll encounter errors.

You will have to create an admin/user account in the server along with sharing the folder(s) you want to make accessible. For now, just share that one folder.

In FileZilla, you can do this by:
1. going to Edit -> Users -> General -> Add. Fill out the details. Don't forget to enable the account. Since you'll be working locally, you can opt to not use SSL. It's up to you.
2. Next would be to click on Shared folders to the left and add your cloud service folder. There's a checklist of permissions to the right. Allow read and write, at least, for "Files", and Create, List, +Subdirs, for "Directories".
3. Click Ok.

You can create an entry under Repositories in Campaign Properties for ftp://127.0.0.1/index.gz. Depending on whether or not you have an actual index file at that location, may cause a "quiet" error. Just ignore it. This will provide an entry in the FTP dialog to click on to save some time in the future.

That's it. You're set.

# Fixed the bug reported by DJuego. I missed a context on where to set a token's origin point, specifically when it is dropped into play from the library.
# I realized that I didn't transfer over code from my fork to the test build to properly return tokens to to their origin point when no movement was done by the key token. You can test for this bug by opening b87- or older dev builds, and using a mixed group (snapped and unsnapped to grid) of at least 2 tokens. Lead the group by an unsnapped token first. Once moved, click and hold in place a snapped-to-grid token. Move the mouse a fraction and drag images will immediately show an offset. Release the hold and you will observe that the unsnapped token will land at the offset point instead of its origin.

This has been corrected and the method has also been applied to movement denial where instead of querying a token's path and getting the first cell, it now uses the the origin point property I put in place; this should be marginally faster than what it is right now.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.8 - 0.9]# Fixed footprint lighting after grid adjustment to correctly follow token; plus small changes to this aesthetic.
# Applied FoW lag fix. This will be discussed in more detail on posts coming during and after 1/18/2013
# Included is my modified MapTool launcher. It's the file named "Start-MapTool.jar". Due to the wildcard bug introduced in Java 7u10, the current method of running the MT executable is now broken. The launcher, therefore, requires the user to "register" the MapTool executable. You can do so using the button provided, you can't miss it. Once registered, this will hold the MT executable's name until otherwise set to another value.

There is also a new option to set the path to a preferred JVM to launch MapTools. This has value for both advanced and beginning users, the details of which can be easily found by going through the forums. Please note that this is optional, you DO NOT have to set this up as the launcher will utilize the system-registered JVM by default like it always has.

Users will notice the "Console" toggle. This simply switches whether MapTool launches with a java console or not (i.e. java or javaw). I made the changes and did some tests all in one sitting, so there may be small bugs I didn't catch. While I'm certain that this launcher is cross-platform, I never did get any feedback from users with other operating systems.[/spoiler]
[spoiler=Version 0.9 - 0.95]A relatively minor update, testers not concerned/interested with what's listed on this changelog need not update.

# MT launcher now displays console window properly when Console toggle is selected. The fix was to launch the MT application through the OS shell. However, running this on OS X and Linux is untested. Linux users should install the xdg-utils package for this to function. Please feel free to make any comments about the implementation.
# FoW fix fully implemented. Essentially, there are 2 contexts (day and night). Day employs minimal soft fog tracking as opposed to version 0.9 where it wasn't tracked at all. Night implements an alternate to path-oriented FoW exposure. It is still slow but not in the runaway manner seen in the reported bug.

Taken in small steps, the lag is not too tedious. Each step on a small path takes roughly 1500 to 2500ms to compute. Anything beyond 10 steps and things start to escalate.

Thus, performance can be toggled by switching between day and night views accordingly.[/spoiler]
Last edited by Lee on Thu Jan 31, 2013 7:19 am, edited 25 times in total.

aliasmask
Deity

Re: MapTool Dev Build (unofficial but the latest)

Post by aliasmask »

So, this has the UPnP fix, Java 7 fix and path reporting fix... anything else I should test for. is the json.type fix in there?

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

aliasmask wrote:is the json.type fix in there?

Yes, I believe so. I can't say right now what needs testing, you still have vastly more MT experience than I do. Let me know how it goes, got to go out to the grocery in a few.

wolph42
Deity

Post by wolph42 »

hmm, try to run the bat out of the box: getting
'a java exception occured'
message and thats it. Click ok and nothing.

ah win7, j7, log remains empty.

used the launcher icw mt.cfg to start from java 6 and got:
Untitled picture.png
Untitled picture.png (29.39 KiB) Viewed 2900 times

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

That's odd. I ran it like 5 times before uploading. It says it's missing some class files. Anyway, I built it again, ran it, zipped it, uploaded it, downloaded it, unzipped it, and ran it. This one, at least, works.

Edit: It's the same link on the 1st post. I apologize for the hiccup at the start. Sigh.
Edit #2: Oh, by the way, if things are now running well, could this get moved to or a link to this be posted at the Announcements section? Thanks.

wolph42
Deity

Post by wolph42 »

ok it runs! Just started it, loaded the Bag of Tricks (ideal for testing) and I immediately noticed (old) bug 1: not all pics show up OCL, only after zooming one click does it all appear.
(new) bug 2:when starting to move a token from square coords: 1,3,5,7,etc and B,D,F,H,etc. eg A1 or B3 (but not A0 or A2) a 'ghost image' appears of the token close to its starting point.

-Upnp appears to work, tried connecting with 2nd instance and that worked. Also got a satisfying message telling me that its working :mrgreen:

-the launcher appeared not to be working until I figured out that the .jar file does not start with "MapTool-" but with "MapTool_" you might want to change that so people can test different settings like j6 and j7.

I will update this post if I find more

edit:
- The annoying token move bug is solved I noticed (moving a token one px to upper or left immediately put it in the next square)

edit2:
- the buttons of a table in j7 look horrendous:
[spoiler=tables in j6 vs j7]java 6
java6 table.png
java6 table.png (7.46 KiB) Viewed 2869 times

java 7
java 7 table.png
java 7 table.png (7.88 KiB) Viewed 2869 times
[/spoiler]
The good news is that more options have come available, e.g. border style can now be set to a single line. 'Bad' news is that the cellspacing tag is also available and set to some value !=0. That is the culprit making such a mess of the tables in J7. To fix this add cellspacing='0' to the table tag.

edit3: saved files are not backwards compatible (although at first I could open a saved file in b87, but later on I couldn't).

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Thanks for the feedback. Everyone, keep it coming.

wolph42 wrote:...I immediately noticed (old) bug 1: not all pics show up OCL, only after zooming one click does it all appear.

Rest assured, there's a fix. But I didn't implement it because it's a hack (call to set zero-level zoom or 0:0 aspect) that I forgot to ask Azhrei if it was good enough. Till I get to talk to a core dev, I'll look around for the root cause. There's a high degree of over-zealousness in repainting, validating, image cache clearing within the code which was unavoidable due to the number of different contributors that added to the project. Somewhere in there, lies the problem. Anyway, if time runs out, the easy fix patch will be there.

wolph42 wrote:(new) bug 2:when starting to move a token from square coords: 1,3,5,7,etc and B,D,F,H,etc. eg A1 or B3 (but not A0 or A2) a 'ghost image' appears of the token close to its starting point.

Could you share a campaign file that can replicate this? I'm also attaching the test campaign A.M. made that I used to solve the path computation problem; could you see if you can replicate this bug there? There was another unrelated bug in the original source where a token doesn't return to it's actual origin point, but rather to a processed, imprecise one, when no movement is made. To solve this, I introduced an origin point property to the Token model so that a token can return to where it really began, and this was also used to do path computation. This bug you encountered may be because I extracted the fix from my heavily modified MT version; I mistakenly did development for the fix there instead of a clean copy, so it's likely I missed extracting parts of it.

Edit: Lastly, how was the movement made? By dragging a token or using the macro functions? Also, I tried doing simulations, but couldn't replicate it. Perhaps you can try saving to get stuff into this build's format, then loading it and see if it still persists. Or a perhaps a new campaign dropping similar resources into it; this may be caused by differences I mentioned regardin the legacy models of older MT versions vs. the changed ones in this build.

wolph42 wrote:-Upnp appears to work, tried connecting with 2nd instance and that worked. Also got a satisfying message telling me that its working :mrgreen:

Yeah, I like this library too. Part of this is because it's actively being developed and the author already has plans for UPnP 1.1 when it comes out, which the old sbbi-lib won't be compatible with in the future.

wolph42 wrote:-the launcher appeared not to be working until I figured out that the .jar file does not start with "MapTool-" but with "MapTool_" you might want to change that so people can test different settings like j6 and j7.

Or maybe a change to Maptool* so that the wildcard will cover the difference. I forgot to do that before the upload, unfortunately.

wolph42 wrote:edit:
- The annoying token move bug is solved I noticed (moving a token one px to upper or left immediately put it in the next square)

Yes, this was detailed in Testing.

wolph42 wrote:edit2:
- the buttons of a table in j7 look horrendous, I think this is a java issue not a MT issue. It seems that I can fix this as more html options have come available like border settings. However 'width' of a table in % e.g. width=100% no longer works in the chat. Not as a tag nor as a style. however using broadcast fixes this and the full width is used.

It could be due to TinyLAF and the b87 theme I included. Deleting it would resolve to the backup YQ theme. Using the b86 theme will restore follow-on-focus behavior (ok button click on hitting return) to input windows. If the problem still persists, then indeed, it must be J7. Did you do a switch-back to J6 to see?

Edit: Ah, you did do J6 tests. I'll go over the HTML portions of the code to see if the cellspacing attribute got set to a non-0 value in there.

wolph42 wrote:edit3: I was able to open a saved file n b87 (so it appears backwards compatible)

Let's hope it holds true for all situations, but everyone should still keep cautious by backing up. I'm primarily using my fork these days so I didn't test this part as thoroughly, and my saves are unloaded in b87.

Of all the things mentioned, it's the image artifact that needs most attention. Please provide me what I need for replication so I can substitute the build posthaste.

Thanks.
Attachments
test lastpath.zip
(368.54 KiB) Downloaded 96 times
Last edited by Lee on Mon Dec 03, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

wolph42
Deity

Post by wolph42 »

Could you share a campaign file that can replicate this? I'm also attaching the test campaign A.M. made that I used to solve the path computation problem; could you see if you can replicate this bug there? There was another unrelated bug in the original source where a token doesn't return to it's actual origin point, but rather to a processed, imprecise one, when no movement is made. To solve this, I introduced an origin point property to the Token model so that a token can return to where it really began, and this was also used to do path computation. This bug you encountered may be because I extracted the fix from my heavily modified MT version; I mistakenly did development for the fix there instead of a clean copy, so it's likely I missed extracting parts of it.

Edit: Lastly, how was the movement made? By dragging a token or using the macro functions?

the campaign file is called 'new campaign' so no need for it, just use a fresh campaign. It happens when you manually drag the token. Just place it in e.g. in A1 and drag it somewhere else on the map with you mouse and you'll notice a ghost image appear on the left side of the token.

EDIT: strange: I tried AM's campaign file and the 'ghost' issue did NOT occur. I does however occur in my bag of tricks and in a new campaign file. (note that to replicate in a fresh campaign the tokens has to be snapped to grid)
O and if I create a new map in AMs test campaign, then the issue occurs on the new map.

wolph42 wrote:
edit2:
- the buttons of a table in j7 look horrendous, I think this is a java issue not a MT issue. It seems that I can fix this as more html options have come available like border settings. However 'width' of a table in % e.g. width=100% no longer works in the chat. Not as a tag nor as a style. however using broadcast fixes this and the full width is used.

It could be due to TinyLAF and the b87 theme I included. Deleting it would resolve to the backup YQ theme. Using the b86 theme will restore follow-on-focus behavior (ok button click on hitting return) to input windows. If the problem still persists, then indeed, it must be J7. Did you do a switch-back to J6 to see?

Edit: Ah, you did do J6 tests. I'll go over the HTML portions of the code to see if the cellspacing attribute got set to a non-0 value in there.

no I did both j6 and 7 tests. this was a j7 issue,but actually a non issue so I removed it later on. This is expected behaviour. You either need to break the chat html by starting with </table> or use broadcast. Forgot that.
The ONLY issue is that everywhere you use cellpadding in j6 you now also need to add cellspacing='0' in j7. Its no biggie.

wolph42 wrote:
edit3: I was able to open a saved file n b87 (so it appears backwards compatible)

Let's hope it holds true for all situations, but everyone should still keep cautious by backing up. I'm primarily using my fork these days so I didn't test this part as thoroughly, and my saves are unloaded in b87.

reedited this, after 'a while' you can't open the file in b87 anymore. so its NOT backwards compatible.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

wolph42 wrote:the campaign file is called 'new campaign' so no need for it, just use a fresh campaign. It happens when you manually drag the token. Just place it in e.g. in A1 and drag it somewhere else on the map with you mouse and you'll notice a ghost image appear on the left side of the token.

:lol: the sun hasn't risen yet over here, so I'm not 100%. I was able to replicate, thanks. I did come across this while path fixing, and I'm sure I handled it. It's likely as I mentioned, something I forgot to extract. IIRC, it's a couple of lines, so combing through stuff would take some time.

wolph42 wrote:...You either need to break the chat html by starting with </table> or use broadcast. Forgot that.
The ONLY issue is that everywhere you use cellpadding in j6 you now also need to add cellspacing='0' in j7. Its no biggie.

Interesting, I changed up the html structure of what get's fed to the chat window (for post-1.3 final) and encountered this. There's a <div> encapsulation for the chat panel document, and every post is surrounded by a borderless table. It was causing some undesired behavior, perhaps this trick you mentioned will help, though broadcast fell victim to it too. Anyway, thanks.

wolph42 wrote:reedited this, after 'a while' you can't open the file in b87 anymore. so its NOT backwards compatible.

Ah, I feared as much. I'm guessing the autosave kicked in and set everything to dev mode.

Edit: Found what's missing, will upload a replacement build asaic.
Last edited by Lee on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliasmask
Deity

Post by aliasmask »

Wolph, are you still using the cell padding technique with nested tables to create borders? That was some horrible hacky way I did it to create a faux-button. You're better off just using style="border-style:solid;border-width:1pt;" in the CSS.

I'll be able to run some tests later this afternoon if you have resolved everything by then ;)

wolph42
Deity

Post by wolph42 »

aliasmask wrote:Wolph, are you still using the cell padding technique with nested tables to create borders? That was some horrible hacky way I did it to create a faux-button. You're better off just using style="border-style:solid;border-width:1pt;" in the CSS.

I'll be able to run some tests later this afternoon if you have resolved everything by then ;)

Yes its horrible but in j6 the only way. You method result in a 'ugly' border. I've already started implementing a similar method. . However that method only works in j7, not j6
this is what I use for that:

Code: Select all

[h:txtResult    = strformat("
<table style='border:1px solid %{bgColor}; background-color:red; color:%{textColor}; width:100%; ' cellpadding='1' cellspacing='0'>
    <tr>
        <td>
            %{meImage}
        </td>
        <td align='middle'>
            %{me}%{headerText}
        </td>
        <td align='right'>
            %{targetImage}
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>

<table style='border:1px solid %{bgColor};color:black;' cellpadding='0' cellspacing='0' width='100%'>
    <tr>
        <td>
            %{message}
        </td>
    </tr>
</table>
"
))] 

aliasmask
Deity

Post by aliasmask »

put the css on the <td> tag for buttons. The table and tr tags have some built in spacing unless you use padding:0px. I haven't tested the cell spacing you mentioned, but I will.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@A.M. Great. I'll look forward to your feedback :)

Uploaded version 0.3 of this test build that put in the proper patch for token drag. I'll take this opportunity to mention that anyone who has downloaded the standalone patch for token drag behavior, should download the correct one I uploaded just now, and apply it again. Thanks.

wolph42
Deity

Post by wolph42 »

Lee wrote:@A.M. Great. I'll look forward to your feedback :)

Uploaded version 0.3 of this test build that put in the proper patch for token drag. I'll take this opportunity to mention that anyone who has downloaded the standalone patch for token drag behavior, should download the correct one I uploaded just now, and apply it again. Thanks.

confirmed: the 'ghost image drag issue' is gone.
(and you again forgot the "maptool-" naming so the launcher works properly)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

I didn't forget. By launcher, I thought you were referring to the batch file I included. The wildcard in that is already set to maptool*, so it'll work with "-", "_", or whatever comes after maptool. Since you were referring to the MapToolLauncher, well I didn't package stuff with it in mind because I use batch files on on my work to pass parameters into the MapTool JVM. When everything works, that's when I planned to amend the launcher.

For now, a simple rename of the maptool jar file to change the underscore to a dash will make it run for people wanting to use MapToolLauncher+mt.cfg. It's a small inconvenience, I know. I'll get around to making a new package later today, hopefully after anyone brings up something to fix.

Return to “MapTool”