MapTool Dev Build (testing, version 0.95) - Jan. 28, 2012

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool Dev Build (unofficial but the latest)

Post by Sol Invictus »

I'm sorry since I have very limited abilities when it comes to computers I can only test the obvious until specificly instructed to do else.

For now I didn't have any other ideas but to test UPnP.
Which does not seem to work with Java7. The server starts, no (chat or other) messages are given except "Server gestartet." (German for "Server started.", obviously.)
But then the port is not open. The router doesn't give any mapped ports (as far as I can tell), PortMapper doesn't find any open ports, and http://canyouseeme.org/ confirms the port not to be visible. I guess my router liked the last library tested more.
Debug Info Java7
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: DEVELOPMENT
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Con\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 247M
Max mem used...: 49M

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: D:\Programme\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_09
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_09-b05)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 23.5-b02, mixed mode, sharing)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows Vista
OS Version.....: 6.0
OS Architecture: x86
Processor......: x86 Family 6 Model 23 Stepping 6, GenuineIntel
PATH...........: null
Number of Procs: 2

==== User Information ====
User Name: Con
User Home: C:\Users\Con
User Dir.: D:\D&D\testing\MT Dev

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Intel(R) WiFi Link 5100 AGN
Interface Name: net3
Address...: 192.168.2.108
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:605a:380:1bea:aa71%11

Host Address...: 192.168.2.108
Default Gateway: 192.168.2.1

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: Deutschland
Language: Deutsch
Locale..: Deutsch (Deutschland)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1280x800(32)

==== Internet Gateways ====
--> it actually doesn't even say "No IGDs Found!" like it does in b87.

And starting the dev build with Java6 throws an error right after opening that black "cmd" window (no clue what its name is). I think someone mentioned this before?
error on start with Java6

Elorebaen
Dragon

Post by Elorebaen »

Lee, thank you for doing this. I would like to test this build, but I'm not sure how to even start it. =)

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Edited:

@Sol I see what you mean. Apparently one of the patches carried with it java 7 dependency, specifically tiorthan's fix for FTP in Java 7, which was unavoidable if we want MT to be compliant with Java 7+. Using the Java 7 library makes FTP/HTTP commands unrecognizable in Java 6.

Honestly, as this is a move toward the final build, updating and relying solely on Java 7, IMO, should be considered. Straddling 2 Java versions causes more trouble than it's worth, especially if there're only a few legacy functionality to support. For example, in this case, it's a catch-22 situation: Since there was a drastic change on the library for FTP functionality between version 6 and 7, writing it one way means you lose the ability to run in the other JVM. I suggest doing testing in Java 7 for now, Sol, thanks.

As for UPnP, can you estimate how long it took to setup UPnP with the old library? I've set it to a hard coded discovery time of 10 seconds. From your previous posts on the other thread, you're connecting to a remote router, correct? It may be that it needs longer to receive a response. I'll write something to do the query dynamically for a longer period, timing out maybe at 25 to 30 seconds. It didn't show a message for no IGDs because it did find UPnP capable devices, it just didn't have enough time to filter which ones where IGDs.

@Elorebaen you will need to extract the files from the zip, preferably into a folder on its own. From there, just run the batch file (if you're using Windows). I made a launcher that should be system agnostic. I'll upload another iteration after getting more feedback for fixes. Thanks.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

@Lee, just as a side note: good Job!
I like the fact that there now is something to test and it actually pays off. Bugs are found, tracked and solved. Making the next release all the more stable to release. So my compliments to your initiative!

Natha
Dragon

Post by Natha »

I didn't read everything so sorry if it has already been notified, an old (86 ? 87 ?) bug is still there.
When opening an existing campaign, the first map loaded does'nt show everything. You'll have to zoom in/zoom out for the "drawing" to refresh (and be able to see everything).
ImageImageImageImage

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Edited:

Thank you for the kind words, wolph. What can I say? MapTool. and its great community, grew on me; it's the least I can do after all I've taken from it.

@Natha yes, mentioned in my first reply, there's a hack to fix the problem that I didn't apply while waiting on the opinion of Azhrei, and in favor of finding the root cause. Should time run out to find it before the next official build is released, rest assured, the hack works. If you could, please attach on a post a sample of the campaign that's showing this for me. wolph supplied me his BoT that I used for testing the fix, but recently, the problem hasn't been surfacing, even on an unpatched MT; making me suspicious that it has something to do with the cache.

I've uploaded the next iteration to the first post; the details of which, are in the latest changelog. The package includes some notes which I suggest users to read.

Thank you.
Last edited by Lee on Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Post by Sol Invictus »

Lee wrote:Honestly, as this is a move toward the final build, updating and relying solely on Java 7, IMO, should be considered.
I think that would be perfectly fine. All my players have proven to be able to update or install Java ;-)
Lee wrote:As for UPnP, can you estimate how long it took to setup UPnP with the old library?
I can't remember right now, I will check it out tonight; and I will also try the updated test build.
wolph42 wrote:@Lee, just as a side note: good Job!
Yes, indeed! You are a inspiration and a facilitator of good! MT-wise and RPG-wise, the testing has made me very hungry for dice rolling again.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@Sol thank you for saying that, but enough of that folks. Nothing would be possible without the intelligent feedback from you all, especially from long-time stalwarts such as CiF, wolph, aliasMask, Bone White, and Jamz; not to mention the ton of work put in from the core devs, and external devs like tiorthan and username. I am but, as you say, a facilitator who just happened to put together all their works, adding what I can along the way. That people find it useful is enough for me as I'm never really comfortable beyond the first utterance of gratitude, so let's focus on the testing, shall we ;)?

Back to the subject, try comparing the discovery times between the old upnp library and the new one. If the responses are similar, then I'm happy with it. As always, do report any bugs found, especially ones that were introduced in this new build.

Thanks.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Post by JamzTheMan »

Nice! So far I haven't found any issues but I've only had time to do some simple tests.

As far as the Java question, I also agree that if we have to make a choice, I'm fine with 1.7 only. Most people "get it" if they have to upgrade Java. Downgrading not so much. Most people probably only have 1.6 still because of MT :)
-Jamz

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Lee wrote:Edited:
Straddling 2 Java versions causes more trouble than it's worth, especially if there're only a few legacy functionality to support. For example, in this case, it's a catch-22 situation: Since there was a drastic change on the library for FTP functionality between version 6 and 7, writing it one way means you lose the ability to run in the other JVM. I suggest doing testing in Java 7 for now, Sol, thanks.
Except for the fact that Apple is a big sticking pile of doggie poo... In order to get Java 7, you have to run 10.7.x which was released a BIT over two years ago. If your Mac is older than than and either you can't or won't upgrade to 1.7, your SOL....
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Post by Sol Invictus »

Creating a server with the old UPnP library takes ~7 seconds.

Creating a server with the newest build Dev 0.4 takes a little more than 30 seconds, 32 maybe. It did not give any message again. The port remains closed.

Collecting Debug Info of MT Dev 0.4 took quite precisely the same time - just one or two seconds more than 30.
Looks like nothing has changed:
Dev 0.4 debug info
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Conrad E. Neubert\.maptool
Max mem used...: 38M

==== OS Information ====

User Name: Conrad E. Neubert
User Home: C:\Users\Conrad E. Neubert
User Dir.: D:\D&D\testing\MapTool_Dev 0.4 (cling version)

Variant.:

I understand the library of MT dev 0.4 is the more promising one when it comes to long term planning and sustainability. I guess putting in both libraries and have the user choose in the preferences is not an option because of space?

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Edited:

@jfrazierjr Good points. It just goes to show what little interaction I've had with Apple products in the past 5-7 years. In jest, if a person REALLY loves MapTool, what better time to get a new Mac :lol? What remains, though, is what to do with the FTP disparity between 6 and 7, w/o having to go into the Java library itself just to keep MT running in 1.6.

@Sol Hmm. I'm guessing that it might be an external issue that's preventing you connecting with the new library, like a firewall. Perhaps your success with the old library was due to previous successful connections (and firewall permission was properly set) with MT 1.b86-. On this laptop I'm using, Win 7 prompted me on which network I'd allow the MapTool (cling ver) to run on the first time. It might be unrelated, but still worth looking into.

As for your suggestion, I actually did it that way on my main project when I was working with all those libraries. It started with cling, then moved on to sbbi when no devices were returned. Providing a choice shouldn't be hard to do, though the end product would now have 7 dependencies (2 for sbbi, 5 for cling) just for UPnP. Let's keep trying to find a solution for your connection problems with cling which can help with future development, and I'll keep those options open should no solution be found, okay?

BTW, depending on whether you're using the launcher or the batch file, you can edit either (mt.cfg for the launcher) to use java instead of javaw. This will leave open a console window where you can see messages from the program, such as feedback from cling. It might provide an insight, perhaps an error message, we can go by.

Sol Invictus
Cave Troll

Re: MapTool Dev Build (unofficial, version 0.5)

Post by Sol Invictus »

Lee wrote:I'm guessing that it might be an external issue that's preventing you connecting with the new library, like a firewall.
I checked my firewall log and it shows that nothing remotely MT or Java related was blocked when I started a server, the log only lists permissions for the relevant time. I also tried with firewall shut down, that didn't spawn any different results. I never changed any settings on the router except enabling UPnP - I guess that means that the problem can't be the router's firewall.
Lee wrote:you can edit either (mt.cfg for the launcher) to use java instead of javaw
I did this and the console window showed this after MT start-up:
console after start of MT dev 0.45
this after an attempt to start a server with UPnP enabled:
MT dev 0.45 console after UPnP server start attempt
this after getting debug info:
MT dev 0.45 console after getting debug info
and this is the debug info (I don't think anything has changed):
debug info MT dev 0.45
MapTool Home...: C:\Users\Con\.maptool
Max mem used...: 32M

==== OS Information ====

User Name: Con
User Home: C:\Users\Con
User Dir.: D:\D&D\testing\dev 045

Variant.:

edit: I appreciate your effort and totally see your point. I'll be available for further testing. Making sure future MT users do not need to manually forward ports! 8)

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Lee wrote:@jfrazierjr Good points. It just goes to show what little interaction I've had with Apple products in the past 5-7 years. In jest, if a person REALLY loves MapTool, what better time to get a new Mac :lol? What remains, though, is what to do with the FTP disparity between 6 and 7, w/o having to go into the Java library itself just to keep MT running in 1.6.
I don't believe Apple provides J7 at all; a user would have to go to a third-party source to get it and that's not what most Apple users will expect. For Windows people, getting drivers from multiple different sites, applications from other sites, and languages from yet other sites is just par for the course. :|

I just checked my MacBook Pro and I don't have J7 on it. I'm pretty sure that if Apple offered it, I would've had it on here already.

I would prefer to support J6. It appears that runtime detection might be required. This is doable in the same manner that the OSX ApplicationDockBar class is dynamically loaded (see MapTool.main() where it calls the OSX detection routine). There's also a check in there for J5, IIRC, so that people still using J5 get a pretty error message that says "You're out of luck" instead of some kind of exception backtrace. ;)

jfrazierjr
Deity

Re: MapTool Dev Build (unofficial, version 0.5)

Post by jfrazierjr »

Sol Invictus wrote:...
Sounds to me like UPnP is not really on OR your router uses some non-standard configuration of it. The telling part is the "no response from http:x.x.x.x:80/wcn.xml". What happens if you go to that "url" in a browser? Do you get a blank white page? If you DO get a blank white page, what shows if you right click and view source....you should get some XML tags showing up. I wonder if either the incoming request for the URL is not formed correctly for the way your router works OR if the actual response itself is bad(perhaps the wrong MIME type or something equally broken is being returned by your router)

What brand/model is your router(and since you said you were not technical, we should make the assumption that you have not updated the firmware since you got the router) and how old is it? If the router is fairly old, you might be able to update the firmware to a newer version that might then work with Cling.
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Return to “MapTool”