Getting Maptool to work in Windows 8

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
BigRed1234
Kobold

Getting Maptool to work in Windows 8

Post by BigRed1234 »

So I just got a new computer, and it's running Windows 8. I'm trying to run maptool 1.3.b87, but each time that I get the launcher settings window and hit "ok", it tells me that it cannot find the maptool-*.jar file. I've directly downoaded the .zip file and extracted to a folder, and since this version of maptool worked perfectly on my last computer, I'm sure that it means that I'm missing something on this computer. I've downloaded WinRAR and the latest Java update. What else do I need or need to do in order to get my maptool to work?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Getting Maptool to work in Windows 8

Post by aliasmask »

You'll need java 6 for MapTool. See the announcement.

BigRed1234
Kobold

Post by BigRed1234 »

I installed Java 6, modified my mt.cfg file to find it (it did), and even tried all the same stuff with build 86. When the launcher window pops up and I hit "ok", I don't get the "can't find the .jar file" error anymore, but instead maptool just doesn't launch. Is the fact that I'm trying to make it work on a laptop the problem, or are there more issues that I'm just not aware of?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

There another post on this subject where I asked to post the log result. Please do this so the devs can have a look at that. AlTernativly you can try installing j7 and running he test version. See if that works.

BigRed1234
Kobold

Post by BigRed1234 »

To be perfectly honest, I'm not that familiar with online lingo, so I'm not sure what the "log" you're asking me to post is. However,I used that quick launch option for 1.3.b87 on the main rptools site and it works fine. I'mnot sure why my donwload of the .zip files don't work.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

BigRed1234 wrote:To be perfectly honest, I'm not that familiar with online lingo, so I'm not sure what the "log" you're asking me to post is. However,I used that quick launch option for 1.3.b87 on the main rptools site and it works fine. I'mnot sure why my donwload of the .zip files don't work.
If you didn't say you extracted the zip file to another folder I would have suggested that was the problem.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

It sounds like to me your environment variables for Java are not correct for whatever reason. I know MT works fine in Windows 8 since that is what I use.
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

zylosan
Giant

Post by zylosan »

I am having the same problem getting Maptools to work in Windows 8. Getting the same error. Its a brand new computer and a fresh install of java 7 update 10

zylosan
Giant

Post by zylosan »

Ok, that was an easy solution. Just download the maptool build 87 from the download page. Extract the zip file and instead of hitting the maptools launcher. Just click the executable jar file.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Mt b87 is NOT cpmpatible with java 7. Check the announcements in this forum. Also you will need to run at least the .bat as else mt will not have any memory allocated.

Return to “MapTool”