MapTools won't open after I press OK in the launcher.

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
DMonkey225
Kobold

MapTools won't open after I press OK in the launcher.

Post by DMonkey225 »

So, I open MapTools launcher. I NEED to run a Stack Size of at least 10. So I can't just run the "1G" version.

Anyway, open the Launcher, Set Stack & Memory ect, Then . . . nothing.

Please help! :'(

Toby
Giant

Re: MapTools won't open after I press OK in the launcher.

Post by Toby »

Run it from the command line so that you can see the error message. Also try changing the stack size in the bat file and using the bat file.

Mine is set to -Xss2M 2MB which seems to be enough for anything that I'm trying now, including Wolph's drop in tools.

Come back with an error message.

Toby

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

DMonkey225 wrote:I NEED to run a Stack Size of at least 10.
Oh boy :roll: ... why do you NEED to run a stack size of 10? (btw, you DO realize that the batch files can be EDITED to change the default stack size of 512K to 10M if you really, really want? Oh yeah, and do you realize that the 1G in the 1G batch file's filename has nothing to do with stack size?)

If your reasoning for NEEDING 10M for a stack size has to do with a particular framework, then I would suggest getting a different framework or building a better one yourself. With proper planning and macro writting techniques, I can't see any case where someone needs more than about 5M stack size and honestly, that's pushing it at the high end...
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

jfrazierjr wrote: I can't see any case where someone needs more than about 5M stack size and honestly, that's pushing it at the high end...
actually, my framework has been in the 6m area for quite a while due to its high verbosity to chat and rather complex (and long) macros. Only after finally undertanding Craigs remarks I was able to tow it down to 4 and recently after a massive overhaul putting all chat output through Wiki: broadcast ()I can limit it to at least 3 and possibly 2. So above 5 I can understand.

10 however...

DMonkey225
Kobold

Post by DMonkey225 »

I don't know how to write a Framework. I don't know how to run MT with anything other than the launcher. And no, I didn't know you could change the stack-size of the whatever you had called them. lol

All I know is that I was good. Then my Java updated to 7u11 and I was getting an error about not being able to locate a .jar file. Then I went back to Java 7u10 like I had before and now after pressing "Okay" in the Launcher. Nothing.

I don't know computers or coding or anything like that. I don't even know what a "batch" file is.

DMonkey225
Kobold

Post by DMonkey225 »

I don't know why it has to be 10. That's what I was told.

I don't know what a batch file is.

It was working fine. Then Java updated to u11 and MapTools got an error about not being able to find the ".jar" file or something.

So I went back to Java7u10 and now Launcher doesn't work.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

wolph42 wrote:
jfrazierjr wrote: I can't see any case where someone needs more than about 5M stack size and honestly, that's pushing it at the high end...
actually, my framework has been in the 6m area for quite a while due to its high verbosity to chat and rather complex (and long) macros. Only after finally undertanding Craigs remarks I was able to tow it down to 4 and recently after a massive overhaul putting all chat output through Wiki: broadcast ()I can limit it to at least 3 and possibly 2. So above 5 I can understand.

10 however...
Heh.. so you just made my point. Either refactor the code if your the macro author OR if using someone else's framework, get the author to do the former(or do it yourself/beg someone to do it for you.) :mrgreen:
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

DMonkey225 wrote:I don't know why it has to be 10. That's what I was told.

I don't know what a batch file is.

It was working fine. Then Java updated to u11 and MapTools got an error about not being able to find the ".jar" file or something.

So I went back to Java7u10 and now Launcher doesn't work.
to make a long story short: mt b87 is not compatible with java 7. only with java 6. you can check out the announcements of this forum for more instructions

Toby
Giant

Post by Toby »

If i were in your shoes, I would have HATED my answer. Let me try to be more helpful. I'm assuming you are using a Windows PC, if not someone else will have to help you.

First things first. Make sure you have Java 6 installed, follow the instructions in the announcements forum post, I don't have a link handy.

Next, in the directory/folder where you unzipped Maptools you will find a file called:
Launch MapTool-1G-Memory.Bat

That is the one that I use, if you need lots of memory and have it on the computer you can use that one. It is a BAT or batch file, basically it contains a set of DOS commands. In this case, they launch MapTools.

Here are the contents of my batch file:
"c:\Program Files (x86)\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -Xmx1024M -Xss2M -jar maptool-*.jar run

That first part that ends in: javaw" is the location of your copy of java, it needs to have jre6 in it somewhere or it will default to Java 7 (I think). In which case, MapTools wont work.

Right click on the batch file and drag it to your desktop, select "create shortcut here" and voila! you can run maptools by clicking on that shortcut on your desktop.

Now, if you want to run this is the command window so you can see any error message that comes up you will need to open a Command Prompt window, exactly how you do that depends on your version of windows, in XP and 7 it is under the Accessories folder under the start button. Use CD <directory name/path> to get to your maptools directory and type in the contents of the the batch file on the command line, you should see the program start up or give you an error message.

I hope that helps.

Toby

DMonkey225
Kobold

Post by DMonkey225 »

That was REALLY helpful. Thank you for taking the time to explain that stuff to me.

However, it didn't quite work. :(

I changed the Contents and all that, but now if I try and open the Batch file . . . nothing happens. :'( lol

I downloaded Java 6. Does that mean I need to delete Java 7 as well? But what I don't understand is how did this all just happen randomly. lol

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

DMonkey225 wrote: I downloaded Java 6. Does that mean I need to delete Java 7 as well? But what I don't understand is how did this all just happen randomly. lol
It did not happen randomly as per your own words:
DMonkey225 wrote:Then my Java updated to 7u11
See.. the people at Oracle must be morons since there is a BUG(which did not exist in previously) in Java 7, update 10+(or is it only 11... I can't remember...). The bug is that the java executable no longer properly understand's that an asterisk in a filename such as MapTool-1.b*.jar should match on a file named MapTool-1.b85.jar, MapTool-1.b24.jar, MapTool-1.b32823.jar,etc. So basically, the java executable can't find the file containing the MapTool code to run and throws up an error.

In an event, as has been previously stated, there are some other incompatibilities they(did I mention the moron parts?) introduced in Java 7 overall that are incompatible with SOME features of MapTool(specifically some of the vision stuff will throw errors when used on Java 7). If you don't use those specific features, then you could stick with Java 7. The solution is to install Java 6 and EXPLICITLY tell your Operating System which version of Java to use when running MapTool as mentioned previously as mentioned previously. The Dev team is working on changes to the MapTool code to get around the changes to how Java interprets it so that it can Support Java 7 in the next build. That next build could be released tonight or 3 months from now.

Toby
Giant

Post by Toby »

I changed the Contents and all that, but now if I try and open the Batch file . . . nothing happens.
When you say you changed the contents, do you mean that you used Notepad (or your favorite text editor) to edit the batch file to have the correct path and stack size so that it now points to Java 6 with a 10Mb stack?

When you say you "try and open" do you mean double click to run the batch file?

I assume by "nothing happens" you literally mean "nothing happens" you don't get any response from the computer at all. No flashed black window, no error message, no alert, absolutely nothing. Is this accurate? If so, that's weird.

I apologize for being pedantic, but when one is attempting to provide troubleshooting via forum post, one must be very specific. I can't see what you are doing. :)

I think you should run the batch file from the command line and report back with the error message that comes up. Something should come up.

Toby

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Not op, but a friends computer is having this trouble on a windows 10 machine. I have followed the steps given in this thread and get the error could not start java virtual machine.

In the past this error has been because Mt cannot find java, however, I've verified that java exists in the place I have given MT.cfg and the command prompt run.

The version of maptools given is b87

""c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -Xmx2048M -Xss10M -Jar maptool-1.3.b87.Jar Run"

the command to run maptools in command prompt I used.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

femanon wrote:""c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -Xmx2048M -Xss10M -Jar maptool-1.3.b87.Jar Run"
When using 2048 you have to have a 64bit OS and the 64bit java, otherwise you're stuck at 1400 or there abouts.

Having a stack of 10 is just too darn high. I would never go above 4. If you are there is something seriously wrong with the code. The most common mistake is wrapping your code with comments. It generates a ton of output to the chat that you can't see and the buffer isn't all that big causing a stack error. That particular problem can be mitigated by a larger stack (like 10) but the rest of the macros suffer and you run out of memory.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

aliasmask wrote:
femanon wrote:""c:\Program Files\Java\jre6\bin\javaw" -Xmx2048M -Xss10M -Jar maptool-1.3.b87.Jar Run"
When using 2048 you have to have a 64bit OS and the 64bit java, otherwise you're stuck at 1400 or there abouts.

Having a stack of 10 is just too darn high. I would never go above 4. If you are there is something seriously wrong with the code. The most common mistake is wrapping your code with comments. It generates a ton of output to the chat that you can't see and the buffer isn't all that big causing a stack error. That particular problem can be mitigated by a larger stack (like 10) but the rest of the macros suffer and you run out of memory.
I've done as high as 512 stack size and never experianced major problems. not that I'm discounting your advice, just that it shouldnt be related to the issue. i'll check on the processor stuff but i'm pretty sure i'm on a 64 bit system.

i checked it, it is 64 bit. mt also will not load if the memory value is under 1400

do you have any other leads on what is causing maptools to not load when launched?

Return to “MapTool”