Odd permutation with new dice mechanic

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
StitchesNM
Cave Troll

Odd permutation with new dice mechanic

Post by StitchesNM »

I started playing around with the XdYsS mechanic. I love the mechanic because it is highly instramental in my HeroHex project as combat is handled with a meet/exceed setup so this roll mechanic streamlines the combat system 10 fold for me.

When testing I was remiss to see I did not get any die results just meet/exceed totals. I personally would like to see the die results then total "successes" example: « 5d10s6 (3, 6, 10, 9, 7) = 4 » Some kind of output like that.

So I tried a single incarnation of the input added to another single incarnation and got an interesting result. Hoping that a single input of 1d10s7 would show me the Die roll as well...which was not the case. Here is the chat output from MT over several rolls of the 1d10s7 + 1d10s7.

Jennifer:
« 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 ⇒ 0 + 0 + 0 = 0 »
Jennifer:
« 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 ⇒ 1 + 1 + 0 = 2 »
Jennifer:
« 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 ⇒ 1 + 1 + 1 = 3 »
Jennifer:
« 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 ⇒ 0 + 1 + 1 = 2 »
Jennifer:
« 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 ⇒ 0 + 1 + 1 = 2 »

So there is the results I got when permutation 3d10s7, as 1d10s7 + 1d10s7 + 1d10s7. These results led me to wonder about how the algorithm is coded, seems that basically the input asks does the die meet or exceed? yes or no? 1 for yes 0 for no, output total 1 responses. Which coding wise makes sense.

Basically i'd just like to see it output the die results, and total successes, just for the simple people like to see what they rolled. It's fun to be able to go darn off by 1 number...shoot.

Just some thoughts I came across while tinkering...Love the changes though EXTREMELY usefull.
Knowledge is Power! Feel the Power!

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

You analyzed how it works correctly.

basically the 1d10s7 is translated into a function: countsuccess(1, 10, 7) which results in a count of the number of successes.

The parser currently doesn't have the ability to show sub-results like you are requesting. For example 4d6 doesn't show you each die roll either. We already have a tracker for that functionality and I will make sure it applies to these new functions as well.
~Giliath

StitchesNM
Cave Troll

Post by StitchesNM »

Yeah I am a big fan of seeing the intermidate results, I know it is not necissary to see them cause the result is the same but personally I feel it is nice to see each result in the string. Just wanted to let you know what I found interesting in my palying around. Love the new roll mechanics though they ROCK!
Knowledge is Power! Feel the Power!

snikle
Great Wyrm

Post by snikle »

StitchesNM wrote:Love the new roll mechanics though they ROCK!
You sooo suck trevor, here I am cannot play around with MT and you release a kick donkey build! Gah! I could smack you! :wink:
• snikle •
snikle.wordpress.com

trevor
Codeum Arcanum (RPTools Founder)

Post by trevor »

snikle wrote:
StitchesNM wrote:Love the new roll mechanics though they ROCK!
You sooo suck trevor, here I am cannot play around with MT and you release a kick donkey build! Gah! I could smack you! :wink:
For the record, I didn't do the new rolling functions, giliath did :)
Dreaming of a 1.3 release

RPTroll
TheBard

Post by RPTroll »

Alll hail Giliath: Master of Dice!!!
ImageImage ImageImageImageImage
Support RPTools by shopping

giliath
RPTools Founder

Post by giliath »

RPTroll wrote:Alll hail Giliath: Master of Dice!!!
Thank you, thank you. I'll be here all week.
~Giliath

RPMiller
Demigod

Post by RPMiller »

Now if I can just get the HERO system roll mechanics added I'll be able to give him a proper sacrifice. ;)
You're just jealous 'cause the voices only talk to me.

ImageImage

Return to “MapTool”