Merging Bag of Tricks and Gurps Framework

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
NocTempre
Kobold

Merging Bag of Tricks and Gurps Framework

Post by NocTempre »

I'm new to GMing maptools and gurps and am unsure how to set up the following:

1) Create traps (dodge skill check, and automatically apply damage if failed)
2) Use skill rolls to make items player visible (such as a hidden door or switch)

There are more, but these are the first two I would appreciate some help with. Thanks in advance!

:D

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Merging Bag of Tricks and Gurps Framework

Post by wolph42 »

merging the two is simple. Get a gurps framework (if there is any) check the user creation section and drop the bag of tricks in there (instructions in the post).
As for setting up traps and the skill checks: both require macros. Which means you'll need to write them. IRC there is an example on the lib:events and the BoT has a manual explaining how to set it up. For the writing of the macro themselves, check the wiki: there are many tutorials and/or post a specific question here.

Overall though, the 'best' way to get mt is to start with a map and tokens with no framework and just make the rolls manually to learn mt. When you're comfortable with that, you can try out frameworks and when you're comfortable with that, get the BoT and when you're comfortable with that... start with your own macros.

NocTempre
Kobold

Post by NocTempre »

Wow, prompt response from one of the sources directly. This forum is already awesome. :mrgreen: I'm still playing with your bag of tricks and I am still looking for my jaw I lost somewhere on the floor.

I am not new to VTT or even maptools so much, but this is the first time diving it. I will admit we are a group of video gamers and moved to maptools *because* of the things it can do "automagically" :wink: which for US, helps with the immersion. I hopefully can figure out canopy, roofs, and doors by tonight and will deal with the rest later. One glaring thing I did want to ask in your thread is how to use the difficult terrain tokens. I read everything in the OP but I still feel like it wasn't explained nor where to find a tutorial. The screen casts are excellent references.

Again, thanks for the quick reply.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Thanks!

difficult terrain... yes I still need to do a proper tutorial on that one. The problem is is that its not system agnostic thus to embed it into your system you'll need to do some macro programming. I *DID* set an example. If you change the movement limiter in the settings from 0 to e.g. 2 and then move over the diff. terrain on the diff. terrain map, you'll see what it does.
to create an area:
- click 'draw area' (I can be really off with the names here as I always forget them, but they should look like it)
- follow the text.
- then click 'assign areas'. here you can assign a macro to an area. one of the defaults is difficult terrain.
When i find the time ill probly do a vid on the matter.

Winter
Giant

Post by Winter »

You might consider looking at the existing GURPS framework, which has small character sheets and encounter tracking.

Caution: I haven't tested it with b89 yet.

http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=33&t=20331

Return to “MapTool”