Maps in Maptool and Memory Sizes

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
lonewolf147
Cave Troll

Re: Maps in Maptool and Memory Sizes

Post by lonewolf147 »

Azhrei wrote:MapTool has no inherent limits on image sizes. If you run a 64-bit Java and allocate 30GB for the JVM, I'm sure you can create some super large maps!
Image Image

Get 2GB of free online storage with Dropbox! http://db.tt/qC8oAm2C The easiest way to share files between all your computers and smartphones as well as your friends!

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

I've made maps with colors standing in for forests, sand, grasslands, etc.

Why do they need to be bitmap fills for MapTools ?

I'm confused.
'thru the thorns to the stars' One version of a phrase from the 'Ghost in the Shell' Anime.

My Crestar site has over a thousand free maps of various sizes; continents, islands, nations, cities, towns, villages, inns, peoples, some mysteries, and several adventures from the short to the many hundreds of rooms types. Menus fixed June 8, 2012.

My Starship Wanderer site. Only a few maps.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Geroblue wrote:Why do they need to be bitmap fills for MapTools ?
Um, because MT only supports bitmap images...?

What were you expecting? Most paint-type programs only support bitmap graphics.

dorpond
RPTools Team

Post by dorpond »

Geroblue wrote:I've made maps with colors standing in for forests, sand, grasslands, etc.

I'm confused.
Fills can be jpeg and png files also. That is all I use so I know they work fine for fills.
I think I am understanding your question correctly, because of Azhrei's answer, I am a bit confused. :)
How to use my bundled artwork (MT1.3B60+): http://forums.rptools.net/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=11759

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

Well, I know graphics are typicaly bitmaps of some sort.

But to me, basically due to Campaign Cartographer, bitmap fills would be a rough textered png that looks like gravel or bushes.

While the plain color medium brown, is a color, not a bitmap fill.
'thru the thorns to the stars' One version of a phrase from the 'Ghost in the Shell' Anime.

My Crestar site has over a thousand free maps of various sizes; continents, islands, nations, cities, towns, villages, inns, peoples, some mysteries, and several adventures from the short to the many hundreds of rooms types. Menus fixed June 8, 2012.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Geroblue wrote:Well, I know graphics are typicaly bitmaps of some sort.

But to me, basically due to Campaign Cartographer, bitmap fills would be a rough textered png that looks like gravel or bushes.

While the plain color medium brown, is a color, not a bitmap fill.
You realize that CC is a vector graphics program, not a bitmap-oriented paint-type program? CC is more like Adobe Illustrator, while MapTool is more like GIMP or Photoshop (at least, in terms of how images are manipulated).

Check out this page for a description of bitmap graphics (MT), and the associated link in that article to "vector graphics" (CC).

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

I'm not refering to the fcw map files, but I can import pngs and use them to show grasslands, rough terrain, etc.

http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/crestar/ ... w-vale-map is made up of pngs of different textures and colors to represent hills, brush, etc.

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

Geroblue wrote:I'm not refering to the fcw map files, but I can import pngs and use them to show grasslands, rough terrain, etc.

http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/crestar/ ... w-vale-map is made up of pngs of different textures and colors to represent hills, brush, etc.
I guess I don't understand. I may need to let someone else take over on this question. Here's what you said at the beginning:
I've made maps with colors standing in for forests, sand, grasslands, etc.

But that doesn't make any sense to me: go to the paint tool, select a shape (such as Rectangle), select the fill color (which can be a texture or a solid color), and then draw.

It seems pretty obvious to me, so there's likely some other detail I'm missing. :roll:

Geroblue
Cave Troll

Post by Geroblue »

When I talk of bitmap fills in CC3, I am not talking about the color pallette. I am talking about using a png that looks like sand, or vegetation.

I realize both the color pallette and the pngs are bitmapped graphics.

I host some maps made with the same pngs of bitmap fills I refer to:
http://crestar.drivein-jim.net/crestar/ ... ture-files

As you can see, they are not from the regular CC3 color pallette, but are made up of pngs that look like rocks, scrub, etc.

Return to “MapTool”