Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
TheOneHawk
Kobold

Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

Post by TheOneHawk »

I have java up to date and have tried reinstalling maptools. I get the stack size and min/max memory window to pop up and then once I hit ok, this error happens. Any ideas?

Thanks for any help :)

TheOneHawk
Kobold

Re: Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar

Post by TheOneHawk »

I don't know how to get the debug, I never get into the program to access the help menu. I'm using the default settings to try and get it to run, so stack size 2.

Akodo Makama
Giant

Post by Akodo Makama »

Stickied at the top of this forum is the answer. Java messed up the use of * in filenames. See the linked thread for solutions.

Lord.Ashes
Dragon

Post by Lord.Ashes »

TheOneHawk wrote:I have java up to date and have tried reinstalling maptools. I get the stack size and min/max memory window to pop up and then once I hit ok, this error happens. Any ideas?

Are you using the Launcher or the BAT files to start MapTools?

Currently there is a bug in b89 which does not allow the Launcher to work with Java 7. However, if you launch MapTool from the Bat files, it should work. I am not sure if that is your particular issue but it is something to note. If you are using the BATch files to launch, read on:

Does the error message actually say "Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"? If so, it seems like you are launching MapTool from a batch file that has not set the VERS environmental variable correctly. The BATch file code that comes with MapTools has the following contents (if you have not modified it):

VERS=
1.3.b89
javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-%VERS%.jar run

The problem is that on Windows machines, to set environmental variables, one needs to use the SET command. Thus try correcting the contents of the BATch file to:

Set VERS=1.3.b89

The other solution is to ignore the variable totally and just change the code to:

javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-1.3.b89.jar run

Ensure that you have not modified the VERS variable to use * wildcards. This will not work since Javaw does not accept wildcards (as far as I know).
Thus DO NOT try to use something like:

Set VERS=*

Note: Sorry for not using CODE blocks but when I tried to use a CODE block with COLOR highlights the COLOR highlights were not rendering correctly.
"We often compare ourselves to the U.S. and often they come out the best,
but they only have the right to bare arms, while we have the right to bare breasts"
The Right To Bare Breasts by Bowser & Blue

Starcomet
Kobold

Post by Starcomet »

Lord.Ashes wrote:
TheOneHawk wrote:I have java up to date and have tried reinstalling maptools. I get the stack size and min/max memory window to pop up and then once I hit ok, this error happens. Any ideas?

Are you using the Launcher or the BAT files to start MapTools?

Currently there is a bug in b89 which does not allow the Launcher to work with Java 7. However, if you launch MapTool from the Bat files, it should work. I am not sure if that is your particular issue but it is something to note. If you are using the BATch files to launch, read on:

Does the error message actually say "Error: Unable to access jarfile maptool-*.jar"? If so, it seems like you are launching MapTool from a batch file that has not set the VERS environmental variable correctly. The BATch file code that comes with MapTools has the following contents (if you have not modified it):

VERS=
1.3.b89

The problem is that on Windows machines, to set environmental variables, one needs to use the SET command. Thus try correcting the contents of the BATch file to:

Set VERS=1.3.b89

The other solution is to ignore the variable totally and just change the code to:

javaw -Xmx1024M -Xss512K -jar maptool-1.3.b89.jar run

Ensure that you have not modified the VERS variable to use * wildcards. This will not work since Javaw does not accept wildcards (as far as I know).
Thus DO NOT try to use something like:

Set VERS=*

Note: Sorry for not using CODE blocks but when I tried to use a CODE block with COLOR highlights the COLOR highlights were not rendering correctly.

Thanks! This solved my issue.

Return to “MapTool”