Issue; The Table system

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
femanon
Cave Troll

Re: Issue; The Table system

Post by femanon »

Full Bleed wrote:
my understanding was that uploading the tables to the MT campaign I was connecting to as a GM and then player, hosted by another, would dump said table in everyones cache like a token, what you seem to be saying is otherwise, so how should I go about distributing the tables?
Tables are server centric judging by the check box options you can see on them, so the server is the only one that needs to have the tables (though you will have to have "allow look-up by players" check marked on the tables.) If the tables aren't already in the campaign that the server loaded, you can export the tables and send them to whoever is serving and have them import them and save the campaign accordingly.

There is a chance that the server *might* require a restart at that point (not sure about that because I've never installed a table after I started a server.)
Lee wrote:FullBleed mentioned on another thread that, as opposed to how MT normally disseminates image assets, table data is sent upon request. Honestly, I haven't gone over that part of the code in detail since it's something I marked for another time.

Not to confuse the issues... but now that I'm looking at it again I wonder if the "Show Table to Players" check box on tables affects this behavior. Probably not, but I usually have this off, so it makes sense that all of the tables wouldn't be disseminated before being accessed (just like assets on maps players don't see aren't disseminated until they access those maps.) It's possible that the table data would be sent to players when they connect to a server if the table was set to "Show Table to Players."
if it dissemenated automatically when you connect or view it, wouldnt it work? I think I did have those listed things checked when I entered them.

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

Yes, quite unfortunate. In the meantime, have you tried asking the GM hosting the game to start MT without connected clients and run your animation macro?

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

Lee wrote:Yes, quite unfortunate. In the meantime, have you tried asking the GM hosting the game to start MT without connected clients and run your animation macro?
without connected clients? wouldn't that mean he'd have to load the tables himself? The thing is, it works for the person who has them so I dont know what he could expect to find. I'm going to definately try something, but he's quite frequently running games so it's a little hard to sit down and test some things. i'll ask if i can get some time set aside.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

femanon wrote:if it dissemenated automatically when you connect or view it, wouldnt it work? I think I did have those listed things checked when I entered them.
Both were not checked on both tables. One of your tables did not have the "Show Table to Players" option checked.

And, from what you've said, it sounds like the server didn't have the tables anyway... so, even if it disseminates when the "Show Table to Players" option is checked (and we don't know it does), the server would still have to have it. So you need to open the campaign file yourself, add the tables, save, and then have the server open the new campaign file. Or you need to properly export the tables and have the server import the tables (which, as I mentioned before, may still require a restart, depending on how access to tables is initiated... that is, does it "Show Tables to Players" as they are added, does it only check that when a player logs in, or does it only build a list of tables to show when the server is actually started? I don't know the answer to that question.)

Lee wrote:Yes, quite unfortunate.
For the record, I *like* the way it works now. If I have a table hidden from players and it's full of assets that they don't need yet (or may never need) I don't want the whole table sent to them. Just like i don't want every map that they can't see yet sent to them until we're going to use it. Sending everything at server login would just bloat transfers when people connect to the server for no good reason. On demand is the way to go.

The tables in MT could certainly use some additional functionality, but I wouldn't want to lose that. ;)
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Lee
Dragon

Post by Lee »

@FullBleed Oh I didn't mean anything by that. I was referring to what femanon said about not having the time to look at the issue. On-demand, or off-session, are my preferences for sending updates :)

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

A new update, I didn't get to try as many things I wanted with my GM's free time, but we managed to establish that one of the tables does work, and the other table doesn't work. Specifically, the golf table works fine on the GM's end, but the trans table does not work, nor do subsequent new tables as i tried making a smaller one. They both use the same settings, and are not using very different images than each other, so I cant imagine why they would not work while the golf one does. we used the same set up as before; the gm started a server and I connected as GM, I then uploaded the tables and then dropped the tokens lib:animation and abishal onto the map, changing only the new frame macro to accommodate the chosen table.

I'm not sure what this implies about the table contents, it could be a matter of a window period where the first table to be uploaded gets disseminated, or perhaps theres something wrong with the files I'm using, but that doesn't make much sense since they where all generated with the same program in the same way. any thoughts?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

femanon wrote:any thoughts?
Yes. As mentioned above:

Try opening the campaign file on your computer, add the tables, save the campaign, send the new campaign file to the person running the server, then have them start up the server with the new campaign file. Connect. And see if it works.

You uploading the tables as a non-server GM probably isn't addressing the core problem.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”