Creating a Character Sheet

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Barlie
Kobold

Creating a Character Sheet

Post by Barlie »

Mostly having the macro's I want in order, I now want to build a character sheet using the following tutorial:

http://www.lmwcs.com/rptools/wiki/Intro ... and_Frames

That being said, I don't know the first thing about HTML or CSS. If ABSOLUTELY necessary to pull this off, I might be willing to learn, but I'd rather much rather avoid it. So my question here is, if I were to build a character sheet in a WYSIWYG html editor, could I just grab the code for that, stick it into a frame macro and have everything work nicely in maptools?

CoveredInFish
Demigod

Re: Creating a Character Sheet

Post by CoveredInFish »

Yes and no.

In theory you can use any way to create the html you want.

Maptool only supports HTML3.2 and CSS1 what is like ancient - so I'd think most WYSIWIG editors will not produce the correct HTML version.

Second you have to create some code to fill your character sheet with values and have to find the places to put it in. So at least a minimum understand of HTML is helpful here.

On the other hand the HTML MT supports is quite simple, so I'd think its not a very hard task to learn the necessary stuff to create a good looking character sheet.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

CoveredInFish wrote:Yes and no.

Maptool only supports HTML3.2 and CSS1 what is like ancient - so I'd think most WYSIWIG editors will not produce the correct HTML version.

Second you have to create some code to fill your character sheet with values and have to find the places to put it in. So at least a minimum understand of HTML is helpful here.

On the other hand the HTML MT supports is quite simple, so I'd think its not a very hard task to learn the necessary stuff to create a good looking character sheet.
The main problem I run into personally is alignment, aligning the boxes works completely differently in web environments as opposed to maptools with tables. Unfortuantely I can't think of anything around this, as all other forms of alignment of elements i know of are CSS related and require more up to date CSS.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

Alignment is a female-canine-in-heat using the available HTML. However in my experience using lots of nested tables can achieve the required result. Note that I do not use ccs (well barely anyway) and I get my sheets aligned perfectly.

nosferatou
Kobold

Post by nosferatou »

You are really barbare ^^

i want use balise html DIV and into css the location this DIV in absolute position but not work :( i dont like the table into table ....

the limitation css level 1 , it is hard to upgrade to min: level 2 ?

it isn't a library to add into classpath to maptool ? you dont have re-write an parser html ??

femanon wrote:
CoveredInFish wrote:Yes and no.

The main problem I run into personally is alignment, aligning the boxes works completely differently in web environments as opposed to maptools with tables. Unfortuantely I can't think of anything around this, as all other forms of alignment of elements i know of are CSS related and require more up to date CSS.

nosferatou
Kobold

Post by nosferatou »

Yes i wait this son of maptool :-) "mote";

With Database H2 :-)
perhaps an interface for create caractersheet :-)
wolph42 wrote:if it were that easy i guess it would have been done... but mote is on the way, so who knows!!

Return to “MapTool”