Green lines - Draw Tool Problem - b90/91

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
acote
Kobold

Green lines - Draw Tool Problem - b90/91

Post by acote »

EDIT BY MODERATOR. BELOW ISSUE IS SOLVED BY TAKING THE FOLLOWING STEPS:
In the .maptool directory (usually c:\users\[username]\.maptool) go into mt.cfg and change "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=../../.maptool" into "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=.maptool". You should notice that the problem is gone.

Whenever I use the draw tool, it creates a large grid square around any points where I used the draw tool. The squares never disappear unless I undo whatever I drew. Does anyone know how to stop this grid from appearing? Thanks!
Attachments
grid.png
grid.png (101.36 KiB) Viewed 25804 times

Foxbat64
Kobold

Re: Draw Tool Problem - b90

Post by Foxbat64 »

I am having this same problem. Spent several hours combing through every setting in b90 for something that got rid of it when turned off. Extremely frustrating, considering my gaming group lost half the session last week to MapTool-related technical issues which we (hopefully) have finally resolved, only for me to open MapTool up in preparation for our game today to find this.

This was not a problem last week (Thursday the 17th) when we switched over to b90 initially. I don't know why it's shown up all of a sudden, and it affects both new drawings and drawings which were already on the map. PLEASE respond with information on how to get this off my screen. Thank you!
Attachments
The problem in question.
The problem in question.
DrawGridProblem.png (220.61 KiB) Viewed 25770 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

This is completely new and unprecedented. I've been using b90 for over a year now without issue and others as well we've never seen this.

Can you provide debug info (menu help debug info)

Foxbat64
Kobold

Post by Foxbat64 »

Sure:
==== MapTool Information ====
MapTool Version: 1.3.b90
MapTool Home...: ..\..\.maptool
Max mem avail..: 1,820M
Max mem used...: 379M
Custom Property: -DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=..\..\.maptool

==== Java Information ====
Java Vendor.: Oracle Corporation
Java Home...: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7
Java Version: 1.7.0_65
Result of executing 'java -version':
............: Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.7.0_65-b20)
............: Java HotSpot(TM) 64-Bit Server VM (build 24.65-b04, mixed mode)

==== OS Information ====
OS Name........: Windows 7
OS Version.....: 6.1
OS Architecture: amd64
PATH...........: C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin;C:\Windows\Sun\Java\bin;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Windows Live;C:\Program Files (x86)\NVIDIA Corporation\PhysX\Common;C:\Windows\system32;C:\Windows;C:\Windows\System32\Wbem;C:\Windows\System32\WindowsPowerShell\v1.0\;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Shared;.
Number of Procs: 8

==== User Information ====
User Name: Kyral
User Home: C:\Users\Kyral
User Dir.: D:\My Documents\D&D Materials\Maptool-1.3.b90\MTB90-TEST

==== Network Interfaces ====
Display Name..: Software Loopback Interface 1
Interface Name: lo
Address...: 127.0.0.1
Address...: 0:0:0:0:0:0:0:1

Display Name..: Realtek PCIe GBE Family Controller
Interface Name: eth3
Address...: 192.168.254.30
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:50e9:fa7a:db9e:a569%11

Display Name..: Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface
Interface Name: net4
Address...: 2001:0:9d38:90d7:189b:2e7b:3f57:1e1
Address...: fe80:0:0:0:189b:2e7b:3f57:1e1%12

Host Address...: 192.168.254.30
Default Gateway: 192.168.254.254

==== Locale Information ====
Country.: United States
Language: English
Locale..: English (United States)
Variant.:

==== Display Information ====
Number of Displays: 1
Display 1: 1600x900(32)

==== Internet Gateway Devices ====
Device Name.: NETGEAR DSL Router
Model Name..: Broadcom Versalink
Manufacturer: NETGEAR, Inc.
Model Number: B90-755044-15
Model Desc..: NETGEAR DSL Router
Firmware....: Linux/2.6.21.5 UPnP/1.0
External IP.: 173.87.189.169
This issue does not occur in the b91 beta included with the b90 download, so I used that as a workaround to get done what I needed to and I'm going to see if (hopefully) my group can use that without too many issues tonight. My campaign uses a template, one designed for Pathfinder, though I can't remember which. Original problem occurred with 1024 max mem, however due to some memory issues I ran into working on the campaign last night I bumped it up to 2048; issue looks to still be there either way (not that I'd expect the memory change to do anything). Thanks for the help, let me know if you need anything else!

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

well...im not the dev here (at least not of maptool), so there's little I can do save telling you that I did not see anything funky in your debug info. In short I'm really clueless. Im happy that b91 serves as a workaround, but I have to warn you that not even I have come round to testing it. Now the changes are not severe in 91. Few patches applied, from the top of my head: json.sort and light. Especially the light issue is something you should test. Let me know if you find anything.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

If I were to take a wild stab in the dark I would guess it's related to debugging. Perhaps a setting in logging.xml in the .maptool folder is causing it. If you don't have logging.xml, then I don't know. But if you do, try renaming it so it isn't run, but don't delete it. If it's the cause, I would be interested as to what's inside. My other guess would be the java library, but that doesn't seem likely.

acote
Kobold

Post by acote »

I've (kind of) solved my problem. It's something in the .maptool folder.

Foxbat: try going into mt.cfg and changing "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=../../.maptool" to "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=.maptool". You should notice that the problem is gone. I also think that is why using the b91 version fixed your problem: you were probably opening b91 directly rather than using the maptool launcher (which uses mt.cfg and reads the required maptool data directory).

I don't really know how the stuff in .maptool is used, but I assume that something at some point was saved to that folder which messed everything up for us. I have no idea what triggered it. I have certainly never gone tinkering in there directly.

Aliasmask: I have a few logging xml files in my old .maptool folder, but none of them are specifically called "logging.xml". Did you want fileio-logging.xml or parser-logging.xml, etc?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

No, those contain extra flag for debugging, but unless you have "logging.xml" then it's not adding any extra info to the debugging log. They're renamed like that to let you know what kind of extra info they provide, like macro-logging.xml gives details on macro runs. To use, just copy file and rename to logging.xml.

goldensword52
Cave Troll

Post by goldensword52 »

acote wrote:I've (kind of) solved my problem. It's something in the .maptool folder.

Foxbat: try going into mt.cfg and changing "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=../../.maptool" to "MAPTOOL_DATADIR=.maptool". You should notice that the problem is gone. I also think that is why using the b91 version fixed your problem: you were probably opening b91 directly rather than using the maptool launcher (which uses mt.cfg and reads the required maptool data directory).

I don't really know how the stuff in .maptool is used, but I assume that something at some point was saved to that folder which messed everything up for us. I have no idea what triggered it. I have certainly never gone tinkering in there directly.

Aliasmask: I have a few logging xml files in my old .maptool folder, but none of them are specifically called "logging.xml". Did you want fileio-logging.xml or parser-logging.xml, etc?
I think acote in onto the right idea. I was having the same green grid problem, and what solved it for me was 1) deleting the .maptool folder on my computer and letting maptools recreate it, and 2) when running the launcher, going to the "advanced" tab and unchecking the "Use pathnames relative to..." option. Between the two of those the green lines are gone for me. Hope this helps.

True_Hitoare
Kobold

Re: Green lines - Draw Tool Problem - b90/91

Post by True_Hitoare »

Seems deleting the .maptool folder is unnecessary. Was having the same problem, read this thread, then simply went into the launcher and unchecked the specified option, and the grid went away. This seems to be easily reproducible, at least on my end. WHY this setting is in any way related to this weird grid, on the other hand, is beyond me.

malarian
Kobold

Post by malarian »

Dear All
Seems not solved totally

I have done the manual adjustment in mt.cfg
for me Win7 x64 the file is in a folder where all the file are but not into .maptool

Code: Select all

# Les lignes de ce genre sont des commentaires et donc ignorées.
# Les champs peuvent apparaître dans n''importe quel ordre.
# Les noms de champs ne sont pas sensibles à la casse mais apparaîtront toujours en capitales.
# Les espaces entourant les noms de champs ou leurs valeurs sont ignorés.
# Les espaces contenus dans une valeur sont conservés (utile pour les noms de dossiers).
#
# Limité à environs 1500 Mio avec des systèmes 32 bits. Virtuellement illimité en 64 bits.
MAXMEM=1024
# Allocation mémoire de base. La valeur par défaut est adaptée.
MINMEM=128
# Toute valeur supérieure à 8-10 Mio sera vraisemblablement à l''origine de problèmes dans MapTool.
STACKSIZE=15
#DATA_DIRECTORY=
# Cocher pour obliger MapTool à utiliser un dossier spécifique pour stocker ses données.
MAPTOOL_DATADIR=.maptool
# Dossier dans lequel se trouve le fichier MapTool .jar
MAPTOOL_DIRECTORY=C:\Users\Nico&Stef\Desktop\maptool-1.3.b91
# Version de MapTool concernée par ce fichier de configuration; doit exister dans le dossier MAPTOOL_DIRECTORY.
EXECUTABLE=maptool-1.3.b91.jar
CONSOLE=false
PROMPT=true
RELATIVE_PATHS=false
# Tout argument supplémentaire à placer dans la ligne de commande Java.
#ARGS=
# Liste de fichiers XML, séparés par des virgules, spécifiant les traçages à mettre en place.
LOGGING=macros-logging.xml
# msg.info.comment.LOCALE
LOCALE=fr
# Dossier contenant la version de Java à utiliser; doit contenir un exécutable ''java''.
#JAVA_DIRECTORY=
I have checked and all map where a drawing has been made are impacted

malarian
Kobold

Post by malarian »

any idea ?

DougFungus
Kobold

Post by DougFungus »

I'm experiencing this problem using version 1.4.0.0 and its driving me nuts!

I tried the fix listed above and nothing changed.
Using Windows 7 64 bit

Any suggestions?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

DougFungus wrote:Any suggestions?
It seems that something can get jacked-up in a small subset of people's data directories.

You could create an entirely new data directory by adding a different flag in the launcher... something like:

-DMAPTOOL_DATADIR=c:\temp\mt1400

Or you could go in and delete your current data directory and see if that works.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”