Could Not Load campaign, Java Util Zip ZipExtraction

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
femanon
Cave Troll

Could Not Load campaign, Java Util Zip ZipExtraction

Post by femanon »

someone please tell me my MT install is messed up somehow and this map I spend 20 hours on is not fracked.

http://www.speedyshare.com/nSCky/burnin ... ches.cmpgn

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Could Not Load campaign, Java Util Zip ZipExtraction

Post by wolph42 »

I guess you made no backups or you didn't use Dropbox that keeps a repository of your saves...
You have a shot left: check the .maptool directory, there is a saves directory(irc) where there might be old saves of your campaign file.

I'm mobile do I didn't check the file you linked.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

BTW, "speedy share" is a horrible, HORRIBLE download client. I recommend getting dropbox or use google drive. Almost anything is better than that SpeedyShare. What should have taken 10 seconds to download is going to take 20 minutes.. just say'n.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

femanon wrote:someone please tell me my MT install is messed up somehow and this map I spend 20 hours on is not fracked.
I wasn't able to open it.

You might want to try renaming the file to a .zip file, attempt to repair it, and then rename back to a campaign file.

Check what zip repair program this guy used. It looks like it worked for him.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I went to http://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/ and downloaded that program. I changed the file extension to .zip and ran the repair on it. It now opens.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/700 ... ches.cmpgn

PS - I've long suspected that when you close the program and chose to save the file before closing that this could lead to file corruption. I think it may have something to do with the autosave feature interference. I think the default auto save is around 5 or 10 minutes. I changed mine to 300 but 60 would be better for the more paranoid. Also, to avoid the issue altogether never save when exiting. Just cancel and save like normal, then exit. I've never had a problem following this procedure.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:I went to http://www.diskinternals.com/zip-repair/ and downloaded that program. I changed the file extension to .zip and ran the repair on it. It now opens.
Cool. I tried the repair feature in WinRar and it didn't work. So finding a program that has a record of positive results sounds like information worth going into a sticky or into a FAQ somewhere.
aliasmask wrote:PS - I've long suspected that when you close the program and chose to save the file before closing that this could lead to file corruption. I think it may have something to do with the autosave feature interference. I think the default auto save is around 5 or 10 minutes. I changed mine to 300 but 60 would be better for the more paranoid. Also, to avoid the issue altogether never save when exiting. Just cancel and save like normal, then exit. I've never had a problem following this procedure.
I know you've mentioned this before... but I have mine set at the default 5 minute auto-save and I always manually save before I exit *and* save the file before closing on the pop-up. I always say, "Better to be safe than sorry!"

And, the thing is, I've *never* had a campaign file go corrupt.

I'd just hate to see these features pulled when they have helped me in the past (from not losing position in a game due to a crash or a forced restart... losing a round of combat might be a minor annoyance... but losing 10 rounds would be seriously disruptive.)

My pet theory is that this probably happens in a low-memory environment, which we know spikes during saves. Note, that *would* include during the auto-save so that may very well be a contributing factor that you're theorizing about. But before I'd pull those features or have people bypass them, I'd try putting in a routine to flush the cache if the memory usage is over 50% (i.e. like when you double-click on the memory reading in the bottom right hand corner) to diminish the chance of spiking up to max.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

My theory does stem from experience. Way back when I first started using MapTool I had one file go corrupt on me. MapTool was pretty different than it is now, but how I saved before it was corrupted always stuck with me.

Since the corruption is difficult to duplicate, ie you can't just recreate it on demand you're probably right about other contributing factors like memory. I've been seeing this file corruption a lot lately on the forums (about 4 or 5 instances in the last couple of months) and those are just the ones reported. I thought I'd just toss out my pet theory. Several small changes, even if not the sole cause can probably reduce the number of instances of file corruption. For example, changing the default save time to 60 minutes would probably help. 5 minutes seems excessive in my opinion. There are a couple of other default setting that need to be changed as well like the default vision distance of 1000. Probably should be 240. Also, uncheck insert smiles and check Use Tooltip for inline rolls and suppress tooltip for macrolinks.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

aliasmask wrote:Several small changes, even if not the sole cause can probably reduce the number of instances of file corruption. For example, changing the default save time to 60 minutes would probably help. 5 minutes seems excessive in my opinion.
It's only excessive if it's causing a problem. Which, in my case it hasn't. Otherwise you're giving up valuable functionality for nothing. ;)

Let me put it this way--In all of my years I can't remember corrupting a campaign (or if I did, it was a long time ago and didn't scar me too badly). But I've probably had 4-5 times that the computer or program shut down or crashed (or the power went out, etc) during a game. That 5 minute auto-save meant that, in most cases, what was "lost" was negligible (if anything at all). But losing up to 60 minutes (or more if people effectively disable it) in a game could wreck a gaming session (because you either have to start the session over, or do-over everything that happened in the last hour, or waste even more time "debating" what happened to try to get the game back into the right condition... which almost never works out well.) And, even during development, losing an hour or more of pre-game prep could also end a day or make you quit using the program altogether out of frustration (heck, if people are like me they're prepping hard an fast right before a game... losing that work would delay the start of the session and frustrate everyone involved.)

As for "Save on Exit" despite my rigorous saving routine (detailed below) I have occasionally attempted to close the program down without saving after a long session or if I was distracted or in a hurry. I'm glad it's there to remind me. Telling people to not use it might lead them to turning off the reminder which, in turn, might lead them to losing work and session states that they want, etc. So, again, giving up functionality to fix a problem that might not be a problem could be just as dangerous (or more) than the original problem. The proverbial cure being worse than the disease.

Around here, people take your advice very seriously... but I'd hate to see them get frustrated multiple times by other issues in order to avoid something that may never happen to them again (or may be avoided some other way).

Here is my "save" regimen for a game:

1) Auto-save every 5 minutes.
2) Manually save before I exit the program.
3) Accept the "Save on Exit" option (even after I just saved the file).
4) When working on a file out of game, I always rename it with a "-WIP" tag and a date.
5) When beginning a gaming session I always save and rename the file with a "-BEGIN" tag and a date.
6) At the end of a session I always save and rename a file with a "-END" tag and a date.

In that way I always have a copy of the campaign from before the session starts and what it is at the end. I've also got various saves through progressive development in case something I did destabilized the latest version and we have to go back to an earlier build (or if I've got to find code that worked fine before).

For me, this is a frustration free practice. I don't get corrupt files. I can get back to any major way-point in the development of the game quickly and easily. IMO, each of these steps has made running my games safer and more stream-lined.

As for why I don't get corrupt files through this process? Is it because I save twice on exit? You indicate that using the Save on Exit might be a culprit. Is it because I have a 5 minute auto-save and any time MT has shut down improperly I've got a recent backup that it will ask me if I want to use on the next re-load? You've suggested neutering this functionality by extending the auto-save duration to 60 minutes or longer. Is it because I use a 64 bit OS with 64 bit Java? Because I'm careful not to over-step my memory settings and build less memory intensive maps/campaigns/macro code? Because I don't use individual FoW? Because I only drink real sugar drinks during a game and avoid HFCS?

At any rate, I just wanted to put out a method that works for me without giving up any of the built-in conveniences and safe-guards in the program. I suspect that corrupt campaign files are actually very rare (but when they happen, we are likely to hear about it here). And with the proper zip-repair program, they might even have a high rate of recovery. So, given that, I think people should think carefully about what settings they are changing and recognize what safeguards they are giving up.

JML
Dragon

Post by JML »

I agree with Full Bleed.

The infamous chinese proverb: A falling tree makes more noise than one thousand growing ones.

You'll always ear more of the few users that have an unexpected problem than the ones who benefit and are happy getting the functionality.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

hmm? this link you gave locks up around 140 and 150 for each map on cache (as opposed to the first number of files)

did that happen for you?

i got it to load somehow, now theres a bunch of xs, presumably because the assets involved are fracked up.

is there a way to replace the assets with a restored version in the same way you can open up the zip file? the layering in my maps makes replacing these things by hand a pain.
It's only excessive if it's causing a problem. Which, in my case it hasn't. Otherwise you're giving up valuable functionality for nothing. ;)
in my case my computer is so dated and my maps so expansive that the computer locks up more than it runs when using that setting, i switched mine to an hour with lovely results.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There were some assets that had X's but I did see the majority of the map.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

femanon wrote:hmm? this link you gave locks up around 140 and 150 for each map on cache (as opposed to the first number of files)

did that happen for you?
Just tried opening AM's recovered version in b89 and it is hanging at :

Grasslands 135/205
Import 1 Grasslands 150/205

Grasslands changes to 140/205 after switching maps.

I did notice that the file looked to have been a b85 or b87 file originally. I wonder if AM was using b91 to open it.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

aliasmask wrote:There were some assets that had X's but I did see the majority of the map.
mhmm, what i'm asking is is it possible to replace these files directly with a zip editor?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I am using b91 since it's the most recent and stable version of MT.

I wouldn't try to manually replace those files since they are encoded and if they're not loading then you don't know which file they are. Plus, that would be beyond a major pain even if you did know. It's much easier to replace them in game.

edit: I downloaded my repair file and it did stop loading, but then I reloaded it and it opened just fine. There's like 3 images that don't load. A lighting tile, a green tile and a alchemy table.

femanon
Cave Troll

Post by femanon »

aliasmask wrote:I am using b91 since it's the most recent and stable version of MT.

I wouldn't try to manually replace those files since they are encoded and if they're not loading then you don't know which file they are. Plus, that would be beyond a major pain even if you did know. It's much easier to replace them in game.

edit: I downloaded my repair file and it did stop loading, but then I reloaded it and it opened just fine. There's like 3 images that don't load. A lighting tile, a green tile and a alchemy table.
really? cause in mine almost nothing loaded at all. like half the map.

i cant agree that it would be easier if it were possible. we're talking hours of work. I also would have a solid idea what most of them are. but I think at this time I'm going to try downloading your file again and seeing if I cant get it to load more.

Return to “MapTool”