Request: Bring back RPTools Gallery

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tyshalle
Giant

Request: Bring back RPTools Gallery

Post by Tyshalle »

Not sure what this would take or if it's at all feasible. I know it was taken down due to 'attacks' or some such (I was never clear on the details) a couple years ago, but I feel like it was an extremely useful resource and Dundjinni and RPGMapShare don't have access to everything that used to be there.

Is there anything that can be done to bring this back?

whitewarrior
Kobold

Re: Request: Bring back RPTools Gallery

Post by whitewarrior »

No one answered this so I guess *bump* That or is there anywhere the gallery files are still available? I see many threads I'd love to snag posted resources out of but then find that the links were to the gallery.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

its more up to the devs to answer this, but yes what you said is correct. the gallery was going down due to (leech?)attacks and alas it took the main rptools forum down with it as its on the same server. Given that its more important to have the rptools forum running than having the gallery, the gallery was taken down. I do know that there exists a copy of it. The only thing I can suggest is that if you can run a server, you might persuade the devs for a copy of the gallery and you can host it, however (IRC) there are issues with copyright, the gallery material was uploaded under a certain license and can't just be copied elsewhere, so that would mean that your server should be mapped to the original gallery address...

but anyway, thats a discussion to be held if you're at all interested in running such a server :)

whitewarrior
Kobold

Post by whitewarrior »

That would definitely be something I am interested in doing. 90% of the resources I have chased for the last couple weeks has been met with dead links. I know how life goes, I have ended up walking away from more than one fun project when work and obligation kicks in. Up to this point I wasn't too bothered as I had almost every image I could snag from WotC, Dunnjinni and the RPTools Gallery as well as a smattery of other places. I went to build a campaign after a break from DnD but my hdd heads decided to start screaming when I plugged in my portable and all my files were unreachable :cry:

I have found a few users of this site with their own variations of resources that saved bits and pieces but much of what I remember I am still searching for.

Tyshalle
Giant

Post by Tyshalle »

Yeah, I've gotta admit, it feels pretty bleak out there right now as far as free support goes for our hobby. The MapTool gallery has been down for a few years now, RPGMapShare is a wrecked mess that as near as I can tell doesn't get updated or contributed to anymore, and the Dundjinni forums are so unstable you have to refresh each thread a thousand times before it'll actually show you what you're looking for. There's very few resources left, save the roll20 marketplace, which I can appreciate for what it is, but I'm not terribly keen on spending that kind of money for one-off encounters and such.

I don't really have the resources to host a server, but I'd love to see it get put back into place. I feel like it would really help revitalize this place, if there was a stable place for people to go to contribute free works for the betterment of the community.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Tyshalle wrote:I feel like it would really help revitalize this place, if there was a stable place for people to go to contribute free works for the betterment of the community.
The fact that all of the sites you mentioned are either crippled or gone seems more indicative that the "return" they provided simply did not outweigh the cost.

There are actually more free and convenient file sharing sites than ever before (with the BIG ones being sites like Dropbox, Google docs, Onedrive, etc.) Not to mention all the photo sharing sites and places like Pinterest. If people really wanted to take the time to share something it has never been easier. Finding what you're looking for, however, does require a little more effort due to the sheer number of places to search.

Honestly, just doing image searches on Bing or Google often brings up repositories of specific assets you might be looking for.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

whitewarrior
Kobold

Post by whitewarrior »

Bah. I can find stuff, it isn't easier though. That is the issue. I have ran into more dead links than useful stuff. It is about organization and the fact that these forums are a sad place for anyone that does find us. If I didn't already know how cool this tool is I would have left and never looked back after the 4th dead link. The dead links all over literally drive people off. It also decreases our Google page rank. But whatever

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

RPGMapShare is a wrecked mess that as near as I can tell doesn't get updated or contributed to anymore
I know this is a VERY old thread, but just wanted to comment.

Since certain gallery software stopped being supported, it's been very difficult to find an alternative. Especially one that would allow me to import the tens of thousands of images I already had with descriptions.

The one I've been using for the last couple years isn't fantastic, but it works, and I was able to get 99% of the images in.

I've also been adding new stuff from time to time. In fact, I just added about 6 pages of new stuff over the last few days.

Unfortunately, no users seem to want to rate or comment on items that are uploaded. Maybe some folks could start a trend.

So yeah, I'm still around, have been for about 15 years with RPGMapShare.com.

Steel Rat

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Steel Rat wrote:
Wed Sep 01, 2021 12:50 pm
RPGMapShare is a wrecked mess that as near as I can tell doesn't get updated or contributed to anymore
I know this is a VERY old thread, but just wanted to comment.

Since certain gallery software stopped being supported, it's been very difficult to find an alternative. Especially one that would allow me to import the tens of thousands of images I already had with descriptions.

The one I've been using for the last couple years isn't fantastic, but it works, and I was able to get 99% of the images in.

I've also been adding new stuff from time to time. In fact, I just added about 6 pages of new stuff over the last few days.

Unfortunately, no users seem to want to rate or comment on items that are uploaded. Maybe some folks could start a trend.

So yeah, I'm still around, have been for about 15 years with RPGMapShare.com.

Steel Rat
Nice to see you still cranking out quality assets, Rat!

The gallery mod you're using seems pretty nice. It's a shame you can't get the functionality you need from something like Google Docs.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Steel Rat
Great Wyrm

Post by Steel Rat »

Thanks!

I've only used Google Docs on a rudimentary level. The biggest issue is maintaining the descriptions with the images that have been there over a decade. Sometimes it doesn't matter much, a car is a car, but for maps it can matter a great deal.
Steel Rat
-----------
RPGMapShare.com - RPG Maps and Mapping objects.
Discord Server

Return to “MapTool”