Disable player name when moving tokens

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
cpupett
Kobold

Disable player name when moving tokens

Post by cpupett »

Hi, I am a fairly new user when it comes to MapTool and this might seem like a very beginner/newbie question, but is there any way to disable the player tag that appears under tokens when you click on them to move? I searched for an answer on both the forums and on the wiki and found nothing on the subject. Might be entirely my fault for not getting any results but trust me, I tried ^^;

The reason for disabling the name tag is that I want to use the software with a tv where the tv side is the client and the PC is the server. Because I will be doing most of the moving while players decide where they want to go mostly by pointing at the spot, I find the nametags popping up slightly distracting as my name as the GM is 1 and the client is 2. It doesn't exactly fit well with immersion and I haven't come up with a substitute name good enough to not stick out like a sore thumb.

Thank you for reading!
-C

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Disable player name when moving tokens

Post by aliasmask »

No, that's an integral part of game play, knowing which token is which. You can just put a " " space and it will only show a small box. But what I would do is have 2 instances of the game, one for players, one for the dm. When moving the tokens on the dm screen the player screen tokens will also move and only show the movement. You will need either a computer with 2 monitor outputs or two computers.

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

aliasmask wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 5:44 pm
No, that's an integral part of game play, knowing which token is which. You can just put a " " space and it will only show a small box. But what I would do is have 2 instances of the game, one for players, one for the dm. When moving the tokens on the dm screen the player screen tokens will also move and only show the movement. You will need either a computer with 2 monitor outputs or two computers.
Good advice as always.

On my laptop I can connect to a TV and use that as a second screen. If you are using Win10 you should get that as an option. Then you only need to run a second instance of Maptool on you laptop and sign in as a player.

The advantage of that is that you can make use of Fog of War as well :)

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

I've been told that naming multiple tokens with the same name (" ") is asking for trouble. A lot of macros will fail.
Anyway iirc, there's an option to remove completely the tags, I think it's ctrl+T or something like that.
You simply need to remove the tags on the client side.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

bobifle wrote:
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:28 am
I've been told that naming multiple tokens with the same name (" ") is asking for trouble. A lot of macros will fail.
Anyway iirc, there's an option to remove completely the tags, I think it's ctrl+T or something like that.
You simply need to remove the tags on the client side.
ctrl-T is a toggle to always show tags, ie without the mouseover. Yeah, having tokens with the same name is a problem if you're using macros but it sounded like they're just using the tokens for mapping only to me. But if that isn't the case, then the 2 instances is the way to go. The tags may be distracting if they're especially large like putting in details like profession or whatnot.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

cpupett wrote:
Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:41 pm
The reason for disabling the name tag is that I want to use the software with a tv where the tv side is the client and the PC is the server. ... I find the nametags popping up slightly distracting as my name as the GM is 1 and the client is 2.
Guys, I think you need to go back and read his post.

He is already running two clients and he isn't talking about the Token Name. He is talking about the player tag that appears under a token when moving it (as he stated).
PlayerTagMoving.png
PlayerTagMoving.png (168.26 KiB) Viewed 398 times
AFAIK, you can't get rid of it.
@cpupett - How about instead of "1" for the GM client use "Destiny" or "Fate". As in, "Fate propelled my feet to the conflict."

cpupett
Kobold

Post by cpupett »

Well, it seems that I will just have to accept them being there. It probably won't bug the players as much when they are fighting for their lives anyways xP. Although I like the idea of naming the host "fate" or something similar... I'll give it a think.

Anyways, thank you all for your answers, and sorry for the late reply!

Return to “MapTool”