getName(), token name or id unknown

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Calypso
Kobold

getName(), token name or id unknown

Post by Calypso »

Code: Select all

[h: status = input("targetName||Name|TEXT")]
[h, if(status == 0): abort()]

[h: deselectTokens()]
[h: ids = getTokens()]

[foreach(id, ids), code: {
   [h: name = getName(id)]
   [h, if(matches(name, targetName) == 1): selectTokens(id, 1)] 
}]
When I run that, I get an error that says "Error executing "getName": the token name or id "201522969352000000000000" is unknown."

Looking at the full list of token ids, most look kind of like "000000008DC0B0CED242000000000000", but a few look like "201522969352000000000000" or "974936944385000000000000" or "25362996805".

Any ideas what is going wrong?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: getName(), token name or id unknown

Post by aliasmask »

It's a known bug with token ids. When they look like numbers they end up getting converted to numbers and ids are supposed to be a 32 character string. Easiest fix is to cut/paste the token back on to the map giving it a new id.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Java does . . . undesirable thing to token IDs when there are only numbers, and no letters. (It treats it as a number, and strips off leading zeroes - those should all be the same length.)

The quick and dirty fix is to copy the token, and paste it back in, creating a copy, and delete the original. The forces a new id, which will usually be alpha-numeric.

If you have a bunch, and either don't have a lot of macros to fix or are still writing macros, you can try working with this:

[h,if(isNumber(id)): switchToken(strformat("%032d", id));switchToken(id)]<BR>
swithToken is the function (you'd need to change that to selectTokens), the if statement forces any purely numeric id to be treated as a string, and pads the beginning with the right number of spaces.

I haven't tested this, but it should be close (assuming I didn't mistype anything):

[h, if(matches(name, targetName) == 1): if(isNumber(id)): selectTokens(strformat("%032d", id));selectTokens(id)(id, 1)] 

Calypso
Kobold

Post by Calypso »

Sadly, not working. For a token like "201522969352000000000000", isNumber() is returning true, but it's still a BigDecimal, which strformat() seems to be choking on. I'll have to think about it more, thanks for the pointer on the underlying problem I'm facing!

Calypso
Kobold

Post by Calypso »

And for whatever reason, this is returning true from isNumber(): "00000000E56136966485000000000000".

[foreach(id, ids), code: {
   [r, if(isNumber(id)): id; ""]
}]

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

I suspect that if the only letter in it is an E, that Java is interpreting it as a number with scientific notation (which is a number).

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Calypso wrote:
Fri Dec 21, 2018 10:44 pm
Sadly, not working. For a token like "201522969352000000000000", isNumber() is returning true, but it's still a BigDecimal, which strformat() seems to be choking on. I'll have to think about it more, thanks for the pointer on the underlying problem I'm facing!
Try this:

[h: ids = getTokens())]
[foreach(id, ids,""), code:
{
  [h,if(isNumber(id)): switchToken(strformat("%032d", id));switchToken(id)]<BR>
  [r:token.name]
}]
This should list all tokens in the chat window. If it fails on the same id, then maybe you're right, and it's a problem with BigDecimal, but I've never run into that even with 24 digit id numbers. I suspect it's more a matter of my quick and dirty attempt at modifying it for selectTokens has something wrong with it.

Calypso
Kobold

Post by Calypso »

KHAAAAAAAN!

Okay, I finally got it working. Here is my code:

[h, foreach(id, ids), code: {
   [h, if(matches(id, "\\d+")): name = getName(strformat("%032d", id)); name = getName(id)]
   [h, if(matches(name, targetName) == 1): selectTokens(id, 1)] 
}]
Thanks for the help!

Calypso
Kobold

Post by Calypso »

Improved:

[h, foreach(id, ids), code: {
   [h, if(matches(id, "\\d+")): name = getName(strformat("%032d", id)); name = getName(id)]
   [h: pattern = concat(".*", targetName, ".*")]
   [h, if(matches(name, pattern) == 1), code: {
      [h, if(matches(id, "\\d+")): selectTokens(strformat("%032d", id), 1); selectTokens(id, 1)]
   }]
}]

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Glad you got it working. That particular issue is a real pain.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

If I remember correctly, token ids are uuids type 4.

They should look like "123e4567-e89b-12d3-a456-556642440000". I don't know what stripped them from their minus sign, that would have disambiguated the content, avoiding java to convert it to a number.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I would like to see a MapTool solution to this. I'm not sure if the culprit is java or the parser. If anything when doing the conversion there should be a check not to convert length 32 character strings. That or slap a "t" at the front of the token id.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Done a quick check in the code and my previous comment is wrong.
MT uses a non standard implementation of UUIDs. So I don't think it's targeting a specific version (probably because the implementation predates the UUID class from jdk 1.5)

The problem is the same though: MT does nothing to disambiguate an uuid from an integer, its string representation is a valid integer.
It probably could be fixed by changing the implementation of

public GUID(String strGUID)
public String toString() 
Something could be inserted by the second function and removed by the first one. That would make the new uuids incompatible with previous MT versions...

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

bobifle wrote:
Mon Dec 24, 2018 3:52 pm
That would make the new uuids incompatible with previous MT versions...
That's usually not a problem... it's historically been more important that campaigns in older versions seamlessly transition to newer versions. There's never been a guarantee that things would function in the reverse.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I'm not sure how the uuids are being generated, but definitely not through the usual method because of all the padded 0's on the same campaign. I'm guessing it's based on other things about the token and when there is no data, then it puts 0's.

I would write something in to the campaign loading process to assign non-numeric uuids. Do the same procedure on token drop and copyToken() and I think that covers all the token creation points. moveToken() may be another one, but I can see it going either way. Having an MT codebase solution is much faster than a scripting solution. Things could be even easier if you have your own UUID generator procedure so you would only have to change the code in one place.

Return to “MapTool”