Ability to reset duplicate numbering order

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
matejdro
Kobold

Ability to reset duplicate numbering order

Post by matejdro »

Let's imagine following scenario:

1. Place "Dragon" token on the board
2. Place another "Dragon" token on the board. Name "Dragon" is taken, so MapTool will name it "Dragon 2"
2. Place another "Dragon" token on the board. Names "Dragon" and "Dragon 2" are taken, so MapTool will name it "Dragon 3"
3. Delete "Dragon 3" token
4. Place another "Dragon" token on the board. Despite the fact that "Dragon 3" name is available, MapTool will name this token "Dragon 4", leaving out the three forever.

Current workaround appears to be closing down MapTool and reopening it.

Not sure if this is feature request or a bug, but it would be helpful if there was a way to reset auto-numbering or even an option to auto-reset the numbering after every deletion.

JamzTheMan
Great Wyrm

Re: Ability to reset duplicate numbering order

Post by JamzTheMan »

I never use that option but wonder if you changed maps if it would reset? I would think it would need to read all the tokens and get the "highest" number. What should MT do if you had Dragon 2-7 and deleted 3 & 6? Still go to 8?

Personally, (and I think most) use the Random instead because, well, honestly, you are telling your players there are at least 4 Dragons if they see Dragon 4 first. Random keeps them guessing at least.
-Jamz

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

Just to make sure, you know you can rename tokens right ?

delete dragon 3, then drop dragon 4 5 6 7 8 9 and rename 9 into 3.

On an unrelated subject, I would not advise to name your monsters that way, maptool or not. "short goblin", "one eye goblin", "stinky goblin" is better for immersion. But if you go for the lazy route, like I do sometimes, the auto increment reset thing is a minor annoyance, it impacts the GM only at the map creation, and it's literally a 2 seconds overhead. Unless you have another scenario where you keep rennumbering things, do you ?

matejdro
Kobold

Post by matejdro »

You both make a good case. I mostly use this numbering when there is horde of mobs and all appear at once, so you are not revealing anything to the player. As you put it, it is only minor annoyance.

bobifle
Giant

Post by bobifle »

On the technical side, the alternative is to start always at 1 and increment until you find a free name. If you have hordes of tokens, and some macros are able to span tons of tokens (like the BoT crowd generator) it could slows down Maptool a great deal (it should be measured though, most decent PCs are computing beasts these days).

Jagged
Great Wyrm

Post by Jagged »

matejdro wrote:
Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:06 am
4. Place another "Dragon" token on the board. Despite the fact that "Dragon 3" name is available, MapTool will name this token "Dragon 4", leaving out the three forever.
Is that really a problem?

If it annoys you can't you just rename the last copy to 3? Seems like less work than adjusting something via a setting or preference.

Return to “MapTool”