Struggling with rotating doors

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Merudo
Giant

Struggling with rotating doors

Post by Merudo »

I'm struggling with making doors rotate.

All objects have their rotation point at their center, so my doors don't rotate at their hinges.

I tried moving the door in the layout view, but then the door isn't properly clickable - clicking the picture of the door doesn't select it anymore. Also, the VBL isn't generating correctly - it doesn't take into account the layout.

The best solution I found so far is to make the door's hinges at the center of the image, that way you can avoid using the bugged layout option. Unfortunately this has the side effect of making the token twice as big. With this approach, it is very easy to accidentally select the door by clicking around it.

In summary, I want the door to do the following:
  1. The door rotates at its hinges.
  2. The door generates the proper VBL.
  3. The door is selected by clicking on it.
  4. Clicking on empty space should not select the door.

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: Struggling with rotating doors

Post by taustinoc »

There's no perfect solution. To get it to rotate easily, you end up with a token that's half blank. I will mention, though, that it doesn't have to be square. It can be twice as wide as the door, but no taller than the image. That reduces the amount of dead space you might accidentally click on. The only other option I can think of would involve a lot of geometry, ending with actually moving the token, to get it to rotate on a corner of the image, instead of the center.

As for VBL, have you tried drawing it with the blue VBL, then transferring it to the token? Once you do that, you can save the token, including the VBL.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Mon Jul 08, 2019 5:24 pm
  1. The door rotates at its hinges.
As you've noted you'd have to set the hinge at the center of the image if you want that.
[*]The door generates the proper VBL.
Can't comment on this since I haven't used token VBL... but this sounds like a separate issue.
[*]The door is selected by clicking on it.
[*]Clicking on empty space should not select the door.
Unfortunately, this just isn't the way MT token selection works. When you select an item you get the entire bounding box. I've always wanted it to ignore the alpha space as well (you can find discussion of this back in the early beta days), but there is apparently a technical issue with being able to do that. If we're lucky maybe the JavaFX version will offer the option.

I don't use rotating doors in my games... I look at it as a bit of unnecessary fluff that would just make building my maps take longer. You could, however, create some kind of map control panel that has the names of the doors in it that you could click on to open, close, lock, hide, etc. That way you never actually click on the token itself after placing. I use the label field of tokens to organize and manage "special" tokens on my maps (i.e. "Info", "Event", "GM", etc.) And then access groups of those special tokens through my GM Control Sheet. You could do something similar where you give doors a label of "door" and have all the doors visible on a special sheet that you can use for door manipulation.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

I ended up having a 1 cell invisible switch to open the door. The door itself is on the object layer, while the switch is on the token layer right where the door is. So folks have the impression of click the door even though they actually click on the switch.

Return to “MapTool”