Prevent players from editing their token?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Merudo
Giant

Prevent players from editing their token?

Post by Merudo »

Is there a way to prevent players from editing the tokens they have ownership of?

It would stop players from messing up with the properties accidental, and prevent players from cheating by adding macro calls in their properties.

For example, if a crafty player wants to teleport their token to (10,5), they can just change their HP from 12 (say) to

Code: Select all

[h:moveToken(10,5)][r:12]

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Prevent players from editing their token?

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:25 am
Is there a way to prevent players from editing the tokens they have ownership of?

It would stop players from messing up with the properties accidental, and prevent players from cheating by adding macro calls in their properties.

For example, if a crafty player wants to teleport their token to (10,5), they can just change their HP from 12 (say) to

Code: Select all

[h:moveToken(10,5)][r:12]
This gets asked often...

And the discussion usually boils down to not playing with people who are looking to cheat or break stuff. ;)

But if you don't have that luxury, you could:

1) Use hidden properties. Players don't mess with properties they can't see.
2) Create a lib "shadow" token for your players where all data is stored. I do this:
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=23574&p=240153#p240153
viewtopic.php?f=78&t=27682&p=270163#p270163
You could even make the Library property hidden and pull it with Wiki: getProperty() if they can't leave one property alone (i.e. use your macro call exploit.) :shock:
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Or just don't give them ownership of their token. But that would mess with personal vision so you would need to do shared.

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

Wouldn't it be great to hide a property from a player but not the GM?

Maybe an extra symbol in the Campaign Property page so that the property shows up in Edit only to the GM?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:24 am
Wouldn't it be great to hide a property from a player but not the GM?

Maybe an extra symbol in the Campaign Property page so that the property shows up in Edit only to the GM?
I agree.

I think the philosophy was to make "ownership" unrestricted (like a player has unrestricted access to their character sheet during a table top game)... but with GM Names and GM Notes being able to be hidden on a token I'm not sure why we don't have the option for some properties.

Honestly, I would like to have the option to simply disable the Properties Tab for players. In my games nothing good can come from a player poking around there.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I try my best to put only stat sheet info in the properties but that's how most people use it.

Merudo
Giant

Post by Merudo »

Full Bleed wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:27 am
but with GM Names and GM Notes being able to be hidden on a token I'm not sure why we don't have the option for some properties.
We can hide GM Names and GM Notes? How? Both show up to my players in 1.5.2.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Merudo wrote:
Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:57 am
We can hide GM Names and GM Notes? How? Both show up to my players in 1.5.2.
Currently bugged: viewtopic.php?f=21&t=28112

Fixed for 1.5.3.

Return to “MapTool”