Terrain Modifier Question

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
TheIneffableCheese
Cave Troll

Terrain Modifier Question

Post by TheIneffableCheese »

I haven't really used the new terrain modifier function in the most recent version of MapTool, but I have an encounter in my game tonight that would really benefit from this functionality.

The one wrinkle is I have one PC whose mount has horseshoes of the zephyr which allows the horse to ignore difficult terrain.

Is there a way to set a token to ignore the terrain modifier, or will I just need to ignore the counting for that one token?

Phergus
Deity

Re: Terrain Modifier Question

Post by Phergus »

TheIneffableCheese wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:32 pm
...or will I just need to ignore the counting for that one token?
I believe that's your only option currently.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

TheIneffableCheese wrote:
Wed Aug 28, 2019 2:32 pm
I haven't really used the new terrain modifier function in the most recent version of MapTool, but I have an encounter in my game tonight that would really benefit from this functionality.

The one wrinkle is I have one PC whose mount has horseshoes of the zephyr which allows the horse to ignore difficult terrain.

Is there a way to set a token to ignore the terrain modifier, or will I just need to ignore the counting for that one token?
Sounds like a Feature Request:

1) Check box to ignore Terrain Modifiers.
2) A per token modifier that interacts with the standard Terrain Modifier of other tokens.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

For those of us that use our own movement procedures, what do you recommend for getting the terrain modifier based on lastPath? Looks like we'll have to do it the same way as before like checking all tokens on the board for a terrain modifier then comparing it with modedOverToken(). That may take a long while which is one of the reasons I never touched the concept before now. Any way we can get terrainModifier put in to lastPath or do you think that may break something? This would pretty much solve the above issue as well since you can decide with code when to apply the modifier. Also seem like an easy fix since the back end is determining the movement modifier anyway.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

aliasmask wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:13 am
Any way we can get terrainModifier put in to lastPath or do you think that may break something?
Wouldn't think it would break anything as it would just be adding in another field to the objects in the list. Code that uses the Wiki: getLastPath() would just ignore the extra info.

The current last path info,

Code: Select all

[{"x":100,"y":300},{"x":150,"y":350},{"x":200,"y":400},{"x":250,"y":450},{"x":300,"y":500}]
would become:

Code: Select all

[{"x":100,"y":300,"tm":1},{"x":150,"y":350,"tm":1},{"x":200,"y":400,"tm":2},{"x":250,"y":450,"tm":2},{"x":300,"y":500,"tm":1}]
Also seem like an easy fix since the back end is determining the movement modifier anyway.
Probably.

You know where to put in an issue. :)

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I was also thinking, depending on what's going in the process to determine token terrain modifiers it would also be super useful to include any token ids in the path as well. This opens up a lot of possibilities without having to do a getTokens() call. Seems like data you're already getting in the process.

Return to “MapTool”