Lag with Snap to Grid

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
wrathchild
Dragon

Lag with Snap to Grid

Post by wrathchild »

Hi All

If I'm seeing lag when moving tokens when Snap to Grid is on, but not when it's off, what would likely be the culprit?

First, there is lag to move the token, and then there's lag calculating and showing the path.

It does seem to matter that there a a lot of tokens with VBL on the map, most of them have used the "Generate VBL" function to make the VBL on the tokens. They are fairly straight lined, but there is some uneveness in the VBL.

There is no lag on maps in the same campaign file, that have no VBL-carrying tokens.
Entering the Digital Age of Roleplaying.
Part of the Resident GURPS Lobby.
Calling for Halos to be Hexified.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Lag with Snap to Grid

Post by aliasmask »

We experience lag in our FW because of vbl mostly and movement is handled by macros rather than the normal MT movement method. Are you using the 3.5/PF FW or the BoT? The final effect is you move the token then there is a long lag before it appears at target location. What others see is your token moving each square.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

wrathchild wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 4:54 pm
It does seem to matter that there a a lot of tokens with VBL on the map, most of them have used the "Generate VBL" function to make the VBL on the tokens. They are fairly straight lined, but there is some uneveness in the VBL.
This is pretty much always a bad idea. The generated VBL will always produce way more complex VBL than drawing it.
Screenshot 2019-11-30 08.59.58.png
Screenshot 2019-11-30 08.59.58.png (133.05 KiB) Viewed 844 times
Note that the auto-generated is 45x more points than drawing a simple polygon and then transferring it from the map to the token.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

My feeling is that the auto-genereret VBL is to blame. I think I'll redo one of the maps to draw-and-transfer tokens and see what happens. Thanks :)

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

That map has been updated, and it helped some. Not lag free, but not too bad/annoying now I think.

wrathchild
Dragon

Post by wrathchild »

Just for the curious: maps have been redone with drawn and transferred token VBL, and this has largely solved the problems.

I'm wondering about the "generate VBL" function - it seems to be risky, but it may still be a good idea on tokens with only straight lines without shadows and such?

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

IMO, you're always better off just drawing the desired VBL and transferring it to the token. For token's where the image is fairly regular without shadows or blending the auto-generate will work well enough to be usable.

Return to “MapTool”