Storing Data

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Serbitar
Kobold

Storing Data

Post by Serbitar »

What is the best way to store data, like a table of weapon data or armor or other items to use them in token stats or macros?
I found some discussions in pseudo json but found that even by using a large json string I run into "argument is too long" problems, and also its rather tedious.

Whats the current state of the art to store such information within maptool? Is there any way to use a csv file or something?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Storing Data

Post by wolph42 »

I have enormous!! jsons structures for my framework with huge amounts of data and never encountered that error. But not sure what you're trying to do.

State of the art is still just using json structures. if you want to omit that you cuold use the table macros i created in the BoT (link in sig) where you can copy paste excel tabels straight into a textbox which is then converted to a 'table' (json structure) which you can access with other BoT macros, or directly.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Storing Data

Post by Full Bleed »

I prefer to store tables of items in tables or in token properties on lib tokens dedicated to a particular type of data (weapons, armor, spells, etc.)

Tables in MT read quick but write very slowly though. I usually put an item index in the 0 slot.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”