IP v6

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
danlswanson
Kobold

IP v6

Post by danlswanson »

Switching my ISP and my external IP address is now only ipv6. Has anyone found a way to host a game with MapTool with only an ipv6 address?

taustinoc
Dragon

Re: IP v6

Post by taustinoc »

danlswanson wrote:
Thu Mar 26, 2020 6:35 pm
Switching my ISP and my external IP address is now only ipv6. Has anyone found a way to host a game with MapTool with only an ipv6 address?
I did some testing, and IPv6 worked exactly the same as IPv4 did. The caveats are:

1) Your players will have to connect using the direct tab instead of the rptools.net server list on the default tab, which is IPv4 aware only.

2) Your players' ISPs have to support IPv6. (Most do these days, but you never know.)

Other than that, there did not seem to be any issues.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

Thanks for the reply. We have always used the Direct tab to connect. But before, they could enter my IPv4 address into the Direct tab. With my new ISP, I do not have a IPv4 address, only an IPv6 address. The Direct tab doesn't seem to support entering a IPv6 address. That is our problem.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

taustinoc wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 12:31 am

I did some testing, and IPv6 worked exactly the same as IPv4 did. The caveats are:

1) Your players will have to connect using the direct tab instead of the rptools.net server list on the default tab, which is IPv4 aware only.

2) Your players' ISPs have to support IPv6. (Most do these days, but you never know.)
Can you enter an IPv6 address directly into the Direct Connect tab? We tried testing that and it didn't work. But maybe, the person testing did not have IPv6 set up on their router. I will do some testing using an IPv6 address into the Direct Connect tab.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

I've only tested IPv6 locally but had no problem connecting via the Direct Tab and entering the IPv6 address in the field. In my case, I copy/pasted it in.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

Phergus wrote:
Fri Mar 27, 2020 1:43 pm
I've only tested IPv6 locally but had no problem connecting via the Direct Tab and entering the IPv6 address in the field. In my case, I copy/pasted it in.
Yes - I just tested it locally and it worked. Now trying to test it remotely. The person trying to connect got an error. But, when I had them do test-ipv6.com - they did not have IPv6 configured. So I am in the process of having a couple of my remote users configure their routers for IPv6 and then I will have them try to connect to MapTool again. Hopefully, their ISPs and routers will support IPv6.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If you have players who can't do IPv6, you might be able to do something with a VPN service like Hamachi. But most ISPs support IPv6 now, at least for outgoing.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

FYI - here is what I have found out with this issue.

1) Obviously, a client must have IPv6 on their computer and supported by their router and ISP.

2) My T-Mobile home internet router uses only IPv6, but it's configuration of Port Forwarding only uses IPv4 addresses. We could NOT get a client to connect to MapTool through the T-Mobile router. Something is blocking it (even when I turn off the Firewall and/or place my computer in a DMZ). Sounds like they may need to upgrade their firmware and include Port Forwarding with IPv6 addresses.

3) I WAS able to connect to the same person as #2 above when they hosted the server and I was the client. They were on Comcast and his router and port forwarding for both IPv4 and Ipv6. He set port 51234 to forward to his computer and I was able to connect with MapTool.

I will keep playing with T-Mobile router config file and see if I can get it to work (since I am the GM and typically host). Worst case scenario, I load my campaign file on the other guy's computer and let him run the server with me connecting as GM.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

You've checked that ipconfig doesn't show an IPv4 address as well as the IPv6 for your local lan address? What IP does MapTool show in Connection Info for Local Address?

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

Phergus wrote:
Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:21 am
You've checked that ipconfig doesn't show an IPv4 address as well as the IPv6 for your local lan address? What IP does MapTool show in Connection Info for Local Address?
ipconfig - on my computer that is hosting MapTool, is showing an internal NAT IPv4 (192.168.1.x) and a IPv6 address. I can connect to either IP address with MapTool on my LAN.

Connection Info in MapTools shows 172.58.44.x as the external address, but we haven't been able to connect to that. I'm guessing that the 172.58.44.x number is NOT the external address of my router, but a T-Mobile address somewhere on their network where it switches from a IPv4 network to a IPv6 network. If I do a tracert to anywhere, the 172.58.44.x number never shows up.

Also - I did talk to a T-Mobile tech support rep last night and he confirmed that this part of their network is only IPv6. He also confirmed a known issue with their routers with the port-forwarding. Their routers have not been updated yet to include the port forwarding for IPv6. The configuration file only has port-forwarding for IPv4. So it sounds like I can't host MapTool remotely until they get this updated.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

My thought is that if you are being given an internal IPv4 IP that perhaps the router then would forward to that IP if you put a forwarding rule in for it. Even if the incoming connections are all via IPv6. Maybe. Worth a shot.

danlswanson
Kobold

Post by danlswanson »

Phergus wrote:
Sun Mar 29, 2020 2:58 pm
My thought is that if you are being given an internal IPv4 IP that perhaps the router then would forward to that IP if you put a forwarding rule in for it. Even if the incoming connections are all via IPv6. Maybe. Worth a shot.
That was one of the first things we tried. T-Mobile has had several people report that port forwarding is not working on their IPv6-only networks. So until T-Mobile updates their firmware with IPv6 forwarding, I will have to connect as GM to my campaign on one of my player's computers (who is hosting).

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

Just keep in mind that when you want save the campaign (during play), it has to be saved on the host machine.

Thargun
Giant

Post by Thargun »

With my new ISP I also have IPv6 now and, if possible, I don't want to use a virtual v4-network. I hope you guys can help me with some points:

1) Connecting with v6 to a v4 server works as usual without anything I have to note?

2) If I start a server with v6...

2.1) clients have to connect using the direct tab entering my external/public v6?

2.2) Do I have to forward/open the port in my router?

2.3) The clients ISP's network have to support v6?

2.4) The clients have to activate v6 on their computers? So it is not possible for a v4 client to connect to a v6 server? And if so, what settings are needed in the clients routers?

At the moment I'm a little bit confused. Hoping you can help. :)

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

1) Probably? I have no way to test it here.

2.1) Correct

2.2) Maybe? Seems like that is the purpose of the router. To protect your PC from the outside world.

2.3) Maybe? I'm sure having IPv6 end-to-end would be best but perhaps there is a way to transit an IPv6 network along the way.

2.4) IPv6 is enabled by default on WIn10 and I'll bet it is on MacOS and Linux as well.

Return to “MapTool”