EDRPG

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Ahkmed
Kobold

EDRPG

Post by Ahkmed »

Wondering if anyone is using MapTool for Elite Dangerous. if so, have any tips for setting it up. Character sheet wise it is so different than what is currently implemented, just kind of awestruck at what needs to be done to make it easier to operate. Kind of new to the VTT scene and have been away from the keyboard too long to remember how to do even a simple macro. I realize this is very vague, so I will try to list some stuff.

Can my players make macros and use them in the game? Or do they have to be implemented through me as the GM? I read somewhere about attaching them to tokens, but not sure if they can do that or not.

Is there a suggestion for voice communication that works well with MapTool? My typing skills are above our group average, but not well enough that I want to type out all I have to say.

I will leave it at that for now, as that will be a good place to start for us. Thanks in advance for reading at least.

P.S. Is there a better way to organize the information in the "Resource Library" panel? Or do I need to remove some of the content?

Phergus
Deity

Re: EDRPG

Post by Phergus »

Ahkmed wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 12:52 am
Wondering if anyone is using MapTool for Elite Dangerous. if so, have any tips for setting it up.
Don't know the system myself.
Can my players make macros and use them in the game? Or do they have to be implemented through me as the GM? I read somewhere about attaching them to tokens, but not sure if they can do that or not.
Depending on the way you have preferences set Players will be able to create/edit macros. Macros can be added to the Campaign or GM panels and each token can have its own which shows up on the Selected panel. Players will be able to add macros to tokens they own.

See Edit -> Preferences -> Application tab -> Macro Panels.
Is there a suggestion for voice communication that works well with MapTool? My typing skills are above our group average, but not well enough that I want to type out all I have to say.
We've used both Discord and Google Hangouts. Both worked well for us.
P.S. Is there a better way to organize the information in the "Resource Library" panel? Or do I need to remove some of the content?
If you've added all the downloadable content available via MapTool in the Add Resource to Library dialog then it can be pretty cluttered. I'd recommend removing anything you don't think you'll need. Alternatively you can go into the MapTool user data folder and move them to some other more organized folder on your system and then add that folder to the resource library.
Last edited by Phergus on Tue Apr 07, 2020 11:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ahkmed
Kobold

Re: EDRPG

Post by Ahkmed »

Thanks, will get me going in the right direction at least.

BTW, EDRPG is the video game on tabletop basically. They expanded it to cover planetary landing, to simulate just about any other RPG. D10 system with pretty basic rules, no stats just skills.

Return to “MapTool”