Router won't forward ports, am I SOL?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Sean_Mc
Kobold

Router won't forward ports, am I SOL?

Post by Sean_Mc »

I'm returning to MapTool for the first time in about 8 years, or at least I'm trying to.

Long story short, my Altice (Cablevision) cable modem/router/wifi/voice all-in-one does not allow port-forwarding. I do have a spare Linksys WRT310N sitting around, but the Altice box is seriously locked down, so no bridge mode either. Basically the only thing I can do with it is recycle the SSID. Technically there is a web access portal, but it hasn't worked in the 6 months I've been sporadically trying to get in, despite their support agents telling me on multiple occasions it's a top priority to fix, and has worked "recently". I'm not optimistic.

I can connect to a LAN game with no problems using a second laptop inside my network, but trying to connect from outside, the RPTool and Direct IP options don't work for me. The game name shows up, but I can't connect. I've tried with UPnP and without.

So the question is...given the above info, is there a way to get around the box's limitations?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Router won't forward ports, am I SOL?

Post by aliasmask »

3rd party software like hamachi to handle the routing. There's lots of threads here about hamachi for you to reference.

jfrazierjr
Deity

Post by jfrazierjr »

Another drastic option that might be available, vote with your feet. Ie fire crappy customer service if possible
I save all my Campaign Files to DropBox. Not only can I access a campaign file from pretty much any OS that will run Maptool(Win,OSX, linux), but each file is versioned, so if something goes crazy wild, I can always roll back to a previous version of the same file.

Get your Dropbox 2GB via my referral link, and as a bonus, I get an extra 250 MB of space. Even if you don't don't use my link, I still enthusiastically recommend Dropbox..

Sean_Mc
Kobold

Post by Sean_Mc »

aliasmask wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 3:37 am
3rd party software like hamachi
Hamachi worked like a charm, thank you! The limit of 5 connections isn't ideal, but as there are only 4 players plus me, it's exactly what I need.
For anyone who finds this post later, you should connect via "Direct", using the IP address shown in the Hamachi window of the person hosting MapTool.

jfrazierjr wrote:
Wed Apr 08, 2020 8:48 pm
Another drastic option that might be available, vote with your feet. Ie fire crappy customer service if possible
The problem is my service is actually a hell of a lot more reliable now than with my previous ISP, and it's a lot cheaper. If this is the only drawback, I'll live with it, but I'll still be calling them every few weeks until the portal page is up and running.

Return to “MapTool”