Template tool - Radius centered on a grid square issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
GrimaceJD
Kobold

Template tool - Radius centered on a grid square issue

Post by GrimaceJD »

Hello everyone,
Been using MapTool for a while now and I thoroughly enjoy it. However, I just recently discovered something that I think is an issue but am not sure about. I'd appreciate confirmation (or not) from others.

If you use the "Draw a radius template centered on a grid square" tool, the template doesn't seem to match what it actually should do.

For example, the 10-foot is not only just showing a 5-foot, but it should extend to the angles also (since the first diagonal is 5').

And the 15-foot (which is actually a 10-foot radius) is also missing the squares next to the corners (see red squares), as those would also be 10 feet from the center grid square.

Am I completely off here?

Thanks,
Grimace

bubblobill
Giant

Re: Template tool - Radius centered on a grid square issue

Post by bubblobill »

Those templates seem to be highlighting cells whose centers lie within the range.
Which game system do you want the template to comply with?
There is an issue on gitHub to get cone templates compliant with D&D5e.
It might be worth extending the issue to other templates if you are looking for 5e compliant templates or creating a new feature request if it is to comply with a different system.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

GrimaceJD
Kobold

Post by GrimaceJD »

Thanks for the reply.

I'm using Pathfinder 1e, and just trying to get the effect of a spell with a radius going off in a square. Am I doing it wrong?

Thanks.

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

I'm not a big fan of templates myself. I prefer to set up an aura with the appropriate radius in campaign light settings and set it on a token. That way I can move it around every time I target something new, or set it on a character when it is a radius from the caster.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

GrimaceJD
Kobold

Post by GrimaceJD »

That works as long as it's centered on a token. Things like Fireball or other AoE spells may be centered on empty squares. I mean, you can put an invisible token there and use it, but I assumed the template would work best.

Return to “MapTool”