Change Theme in MapTool 1.6.1 for .EXE Version

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: Azhrei, dorpond, trevor

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
JakeZeiger
Kobold

Change Theme in MapTool 1.6.1 for .EXE Version

Post by JakeZeiger »

Hello, all,

I'm a legally blind user who's looking for an alternative to browser-based VTTs after a Firefox update went awry and locked me out of being able to use Roll20 accessibly. I like the idea of MapTool, but I can't figure out how to edit the font size and colors in the .exe version. My computer won't open the .jar version, so I was hoping that someone might be able to guide me through changing the dark theme so that the backgrounds are all black, the text is all white, and the font size is around 20-point. I've already looked everywhere for how to use TinyLaF, but that seems to be specifically for the .jar version. Basically, I'm just trying to find a way to get an accessible program in high contrast without having to learn too much coding at the outset; I'm more than happy to learn more when it comes to writing macros and the like, as that sounds pretty exciting.

Phergus
Deity

Re: Change Theme in MapTool 1.6.1 for .EXE Version

Post by Phergus »

Welcome!

For the most part, you just need to edit and save your own theme using the TinyLaF control panel. The TinyLaF control panel is a separate Java application (tinycp.jar) but does require a functioning Java install.

The majority of font sizes can be set that way as well as text color/backgrounds. So no coding is needed just perseverance as there are lots of of individual settings that need to be tweaked in a theme.

Some of the dialogs in MT don't work so well with large font sizes so you may run into issues with being able to see or set some options with a 20pt font.

JakeZeiger
Kobold

Post by JakeZeiger »

Thank you for your prompt reply! I've been looking everywhere for tinylaf.jar, but no one seems to be able to provide it. Is it already in the .maptool folder somewhere? Text instructions on where to find that would be very helpful; searching "tinylaf" on my computer doesn't seem to be finding any results.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Here is Aliasmask's dark theme with the fonts cranked up to 20. Give it a try.
AM_Dark_20.zip
(1.25 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
Drop it in the themes directory and startup MT to select it from the menu.

Code: Select all

%userprofile%\.maptool-rptools\themes\ui

JakeZeiger
Kobold

Post by JakeZeiger »

Thanks, I'll give it a try! In the meantime, where can I find TinyLaF, so I can work on editing the colors myself? I'd like to work on doing this independently so I don't have to ask someone to do every little thing for me.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

JakeZeiger
Kobold

Post by JakeZeiger »

Ah, there we go! My mistake was thinking that TinyLaF was something specific to MapTool, but it's a program that can work on a bunch of things. Thanks for all your help!

JakeZeiger
Kobold

Post by JakeZeiger »

Okay, two last things that I can't figure out, and then I think I've got this all set up for my purposes. I seem to have broken the text color for items in top menus (File, Edit, etc.) when they're not being rolled over. It's a super-dark color and I can't figure out which Sub Color I need to change. Also, enclosed is a screenshot indicating another color that I can't figure out how to change.

It feels like I've gone through and hunted down all the light colors and turned them around, but that little block around items in the Map or Draw Explorer won't change.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

Your image didn't show up so I'm not real sure about the menu issue but the Map Explorer and Draw Explorer windows have "issues" with hard coded values. These should be fixed in 1.7. A new beta should be available Real Soon Now.

Return to “MapTool”