Overlapping tokens selection issue

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Overlapping tokens selection issue

Post by xavram »

We've been using Isometric maps and figure tokens for the last few weeks and for the most part, its been a lot of fun and added some visual punch to our gaming sessions.

But last week, we ran into an issue where players couldn't select their tokens, because they were "behind" Huge NPCs.

If the smaller token is there, the player can't select him, as the "corners" of the Huge token completely surround the player.

If the player moves up or down a square (along that side of the NPC), then they CAN select their token, since the smaller token isn't completely engulfed by the larger token's boundaries.

Tried moving tokens to front/back, that didn't help (I think that's part of the deal with Figure tokens). Any suggestions? My fear is, as the players level up and we get into tougher creatures, we're going to deal with Huge and larger tokens more often and see this come up more often.

Thanks!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Overlapping tokens selection issue

Post by aliasmask »

Yep, that's an issue with iso. In theory, stacked tokens can be double clicked and a select menu comes up to allow you to choose a token below, but this doesn't work many times. I think that feature needs to be revisited and updated.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

People always forget that the 'T' key cycles through all of your owned tokens on the map. Once selected you can move with the cursor keys.
Last edited by Phergus on Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

I actually never knew that. Pain for the DM, but useful for players. I guess you would use the arrow keys or number pad to move token out from under.

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

So just pressing the "T" key selects the token you own? For most players, that's a single token on a map...that could work, I will let my players know.

krevett
Cave Troll

Post by krevett »

aliasmask wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 5:34 pm
I actually never knew that. Pain for the DM, but useful for players. I guess you would use the arrow keys or number pad to move token out from under.
Not too much of a pain for me it only cycles between tokens on the current screen so it depends on current zoom and position.

It would be nice to have a screen in the help menu that shows all available shortcuts!

Also I noticed that if you use T to cycle then move a token with arrows and cycle to another token, arrows will still move first selected token.

Phergus
Deity

Post by Phergus »

krevett wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 4:43 am
Also I noticed that if you use T to cycle then move a token with arrows and cycle to another token, arrows will still move first selected token.
When moving tokens with cursor keys or keypad, you need to hit 'D' (for drop) to end the move. If you do that, then when you advance to the next token with 'T' it will move as expected.

Hitting 'T' should probably also do a Drop action.

krevett
Cave Troll

Post by krevett »

Phergus wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:43 am
When moving tokens with cursor keys or keypad, you need to hit 'D' (for drop) to end the move. If you do that, then when you advance to the next token with 'T' it will move as expected.

Hitting 'T' should probably also do a Drop action.
Thanks for this explanation 😉

Return to “MapTool”