Latest Info about dedicated Server?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
plastix
Kobold

Latest Info about dedicated Server?

Post by plastix »

Hi together,

first of all, thank you very much for this wonderful tool. i haven't seen anything like this.

My Question is: Can i use Maptool as a dedicated Server?

Background: I'm playing different Adventure pathes in Pathfinder. I tried to generate different campaignfiles for every of the 6 parts of this adventure path. We want to switch the gm too. So i tried to create a campfile that only contains the necessary content for the specific gm, so he could load it separately to the server.

Example:
i host a game with a second pc. i configure a gm password and there are two gm users on the server. Only the gm that hosts the server could change the campaign file. Is there a possibility that all gms can change this file? Second GM's, that login to the server, only see the not usable, greyed out buttons to load a campaign

Thanks for help,

Greetings,
Plastix

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Latest Info about dedicated Server?

Post by wolph42 »

hi Plastix, welcome to the rptools forum. Its always difficult to fully comprehend someone through a post, but I think the answer to your question is: yes!

Moreover, the server can start the server as player, and a gm can login remotely. A gm has full access to the campaign file with 2 exceptions:
1. 'global' macros are local to the PC but they're also NOT part of the campaign file!! Tey're always there (hence 'global') so as long as you're specifically talking campaign file: no problem
2. only the server can load a new campaign file. Saving the file can be done on a local client but is tricky and not reliable. So loading and saving the file should be done at server only. That file WILL contains changes that the gm(s) and players made.

Beyond that and AFAIK gm can do everything with the campaign file and has access to everything.

Return to “MapTool”