Error editing macro

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Drapkin
Kobold

Error editing macro

Post by Drapkin »

Hi there!

I'm pretty new to this, started using MT like a month ago when school started again. But now i want to do some more advanced stuff with macros and such. I've tried this on version 1.4.5.4, 1.5.14 and 1.7.0 and on 1.5 and 1.7 i get an error like when i want to edit a macro, it looks like this:
Spoiler
java.lang.NullPointerException
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MacroButtonDialog.bottomComponent(MacroButtonDialog.java:552)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MacroButtonDialog.addMenuItems(MacroButtonDialog.java:535)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MacroButtonDialog.createMenuBar(MacroButtonDialog.java:516)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.MacroButtonDialog.<init>(MacroButtonDialog.java:130)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.ui.macrobuttons.buttons.MacroButtonPopupMenu$EditButtonAction.actionPerformed(MacroButtonPopupMenu.java:169)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.fireActionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:1967)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton$Handler.actionPerformed(AbstractButton.java:2308)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.fireActionPerformed(DefaultButtonModel.java:405)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.DefaultButtonModel.setPressed(DefaultButtonModel.java:262)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.AbstractButton.doClick(AbstractButton.java:369)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI.doClick(Unknown Source)
at de.muntjak.tinylookandfeel.TinyMenuItemUI$MouseInputHandler.mouseReleased(Unknown Source)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processMouseEvent(Component.java:6589)
at java.desktop/javax.swing.JComponent.processMouseEvent(JComponent.java:3342)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.processEvent(Component.java:6354)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.processEvent(Container.java:2261)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEventImpl(Component.java:4966)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2319)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4798)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.retargetMouseEvent(Container.java:4914)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.processMouseEvent(Container.java:4543)
at java.desktop/java.awt.LightweightDispatcher.dispatchEvent(Container.java:4484)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Container.dispatchEventImpl(Container.java:2305)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Window.dispatchEventImpl(Window.java:2772)
at java.desktop/java.awt.Component.dispatchEvent(Component.java:4798)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEventImpl(EventQueue.java:772)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.access$600(EventQueue.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:721)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$4.run(EventQueue.java:715)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:97)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:745)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue$5.run(EventQueue.java:743)
at java.base/java.security.AccessController.doPrivileged(Native Method)
at java.base/java.security.ProtectionDomain$JavaSecurityAccessImpl.doIntersectionPrivilege(ProtectionDomain.java:87)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventQueue.dispatchEvent(EventQueue.java:742)
at net.rptools.maptool.client.swing.MapToolEventQueue.dispatchEvent(MapToolEventQueue.java:110)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpOneEventForFilters(EventDispatchThread.java:203)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForFilter(EventDispatchThread.java:124)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEventsForHierarchy(EventDispatchThread.java:113)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:109)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.pumpEvents(EventDispatchThread.java:101)
at java.desktop/java.awt.EventDispatchThread.run(EventDispatchThread.java:90)
I'm running on windows 10, and the framework I've been runing is Meleks simple. But it doesn't seem to be a problem with the framework, tried a clean install and it didn't work then aswell.

Perhaps someone here is familiar with the problem or atleast have a clue for a solution.

Thanks in advance!

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Error editing macro

Post by aliasmask »

So, this happens when you go to the Campaign Window or token and select Edit on a macro button? Can you create a new macro button (Add New Macro)?

My first thought is the place where you installed isn't giving you privileges to write there. Could you give a brief explanation of the steps taken to install MapTool on your computer.

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

aliasmask wrote:
Sun Nov 01, 2020 12:12 pm
So, this happens when you go to the Campaign Window or token and select Edit on a macro button? Can you create a new macro button (Add New Macro)?

My first thought is the place where you installed isn't giving you privileges to write there. Could you give a brief explanation of the steps taken to install MapTool on your computer.
Well yes! And I can add a new macro but not edit one.

I only click right throuht the install, and the place for it is C:\Users\sebas\AppData\Local\MapTool then. I even tried to install it in my downloads folder but the same error.
Still got the same error when I do a clean install to another location (C:\games\Maptool).

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

And this same thing happens with a blank campaign or just with Meleks campaign. If with Meleks campaign, there could be a corruption because I don't think you can programmatically create such an error even with event handlers.

There's only one preference setting that would touch the edit macro and that's under Preferences | Application - Macro Panel - Default: Allow Players to edit macros. btw, I usually have that checked. But, imo, this shouldn't be the reason for your error.

When dealing with super weird stuff, like this, it could be something like a memory setting. What are the set values for your JVM Memory Settings under Preferences | Startup? I have max heap: 4096M, min: (blank), stack: 8M

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

Now I'm running a complete blank setup, and it's still a problem.

The edit macro box i checked and the JVM was blank on both max and min, and the stack is at 8M.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Yeah, I'm stumped. I assume you're on Windows. Try running as administrator and see if that makes a difference. Right click shortcut for option.

I would probably also try creating another user on your computer with admin privileges, install 1.7 and see if you have the same problem. MT does save stuff to registry which carries over to newer version. If something was bad there...?? (I don't think that would be it though)

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

Perhaps we're stuck then... I did try to run it as another user but same problem. And even after cleaning out the registry it's the same thing... This sucks big time :P

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

I checked so my java is updated, which it is, so that's not the problem either.

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

If you have Java installed separately, that may be the problem. MapTool has its own version of Java, and it's very particular about which version. Try uninstalling it and MapTool, with a reboot, then reinstall MapTool.

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

taustinoc wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 10:21 am
If you have Java installed separately, that may be the problem. MapTool has its own version of Java, and it's very particular about which version. Try uninstalling it and MapTool, with a reboot, then reinstall MapTool.
Did this and still the same problem :(

taustinoc
Dragon

Post by taustinoc »

It wouldn't hurt to check the Windows Path setting to make sure there's no stray references to Java there, though I would have expected the error message to change if that were the case.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

Is your windows language set to English? Could be a bad Windows Font? Do you have the Default.theme?

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

aliasmask wrote:
Mon Nov 02, 2020 11:15 am
Is your windows language set to English? Could be a bad Windows Font? Do you have the Default.theme?
Well that's it!! Tried changing the language in MapTools and voila! Thanks for the help, I've been going crazy over this :P

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

What language was it set to. MT devs probably need to fix that.

Drapkin
Kobold

Post by Drapkin »

I was running swedish, and then the override language was set to japanese.
And when I changed the system language to United states English the override langage was set to Italian.

Return to “MapTool”