Creating frameworks?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
himeshlem79
Kobold

Creating frameworks?

Post by himeshlem79 »

I am very, very new to maptools, and I really liked the software, so if I understanded correctly, a framework is a collection of macros in a campaign file that other people can download and use, right? So if I wanted to create a framework for a system myself, I should just write the macro codes in a file and then, upload? What are the specifics? Any tips other than, of course, learning more and more about the macro language and all that.

bubblobill
Giant

Re: Creating frameworks?

Post by bubblobill »

himeshlem79 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:32 pm
... so if I understanded correctly, a framework is a collection of macros in a campaign file that other people can download and use, right? ...
In essence your understanding is correct.
himeshlem79 wrote:
Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:32 pm
...So if I wanted to create a framework for a system myself, I should just write the macro codes in a file and then, upload? What are the specifics? Any tips ...
There is no formal definition of a framework but it extends from the minimum: a set of macros that can be imported to a token, to the conservative: a set of macros on a library token, to the comprehensive: campaign file with library tokens and sample tokens, to full blown: campaign file with library tokens, sample tokens for everything, documentation and instructions, premade maps, etc.

If you only want to implement some straightforward mechanic such as a skill or ability check you can get away with some macros that players can import into their PC tokens. If you want all the macros in one place you put them on a library token and have PC tokens with macros that call the macros on the library token. Check out other people's work to see what you like, what works well, and what you can steal.

Start small. Feature creep will turn your simple framework into a comprehensive one automatically.

Other than containing tokens and maps, Campaign files contain Campaign Properties which you use for establishing things like the attributes that appear on tokens, types of vision, and other stuff that are likely to be specific to the system you are writing for.

Should you want to share it publicly you can just post it to the forums, provide a link to a cloud drive, create a GitHub repository, or whatever.
If you go public I recommend that;
  1. It works.
  2. You have tested it works.
  3. You are going to fix all the bits people find that don't work.
  4. It does not contain intellectual property that belongs to other people without their consent.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Return to “MapTool”