[1.5.12] Window sizing issues with multiple monitors

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Xith
Kobold

[1.5.12] Window sizing issues with multiple monitors

Post by Xith »

MapTool windows can experience window size issues when using multiple monitors and/or projectors which can lead to situations where portions of the window are rendered off the screen. This in turn can make it impossible to move and resize the app window. Additionally when in this state there are oddities with full screen mode.

System info:
- Ubuntu 18.4 LTS
- Dell Inspiron 17 3000 Series laptop
- CPU: i7-8550U CPU @ 1.80GHz × 8
- Intel UHD Graphics 620
- MapTool version: 1.5.12 but I just updated to 1.7.0 and I will attempt to reproduce.

Problem summary:
This issue is something that has been frustrating me for a while but I believe that I finally have a good handle on what causes it and a viable workaround. Occasionally when I open MapTool the window sizing would be incorrect for my laptop's screen. The window would be over sized with the window title bar rendered off the top of the screen making it impossible to access the Minimize, Maximize and Close buttons as well as making it impossible to move or resize the window. Additionally the bottom of the window renders on top of the Ubuntu application dock as if it was somehow stuck half way between a full screen window and a normal window. When in this state Maptool will also not properly render full screen. When you enter full screen it will hide menus and sidebars properly, but does NOT render on top of the system top bar and application doc.

When this happens it is very frustrating because it prevents being able to to things like moving the app to an external window for projection onto the player table etc. The problem is also difficult to resolve because it will persist though shutting the app down and relaunching it. By default the window size is remembered and it will still be in this state when you launch the app again.

Steps to reproduce:
- Launch Maptool
- Attach a second monitor or a projector which runs at a different resolution that your primary monitor. (In my case my main screen is running 1920x1080 and the projector is running 720p)
- Move the Maptool window to your second monitor
- Enter full screen mode
- Exit full screen mode
- Close MapTool while it is still on your second monitor
- Disconnect your second monitor
- Launch MapTool and it will be all messed up as described above.

My theory is that Maptool is collecting and storing screen resolution information when it enters full screen mode and that info is not proper for the main monitor. Unfortunately fixing this issue is not as simple as just attaching your second monitor where the resolution matches the info... once it is in this state it is persistently messed up.

Workaround:
- Close Maptool.
- Change your desktop setting to mirror your desktop across both monitors rather than extending your desktop.
- launch MapTool, This seems to force the App to purge the cached screen resolution info.
- Shrink the app so it is not full screen.
- Close Maptool
- Change your desktop setting back to extend your desktop across both monitors
- Launch MapTool and the problem should be fixed.

Wyrframe
Cave Troll

Re: [1.5.12] Window sizing issues with multiple monitors

Post by Wyrframe »

Also workarounds, some combination of which work on any rogue application windows. They all involve abandoning the mouse, and using the keyboard shortcuts for moving and maximizing a window.

Option 1: hold the Windows key and press the arrows left/right/up.

Option 2: make sure the target app is focused (Alt+Tab to it, if needed). Then press Alt+Space, then press X (to maximize on the nearest screen).

Option 3: make sure the target app is focused (Alt+Tab to it, if needed). Then press Alt+Space, then press M (to Move the window), then an arrow key (to start moving the window without having to click on it), then move the mouse (and it will snap to the mouse, and you can place it where you want and click again to stop moving).

Return to “MapTool”