Grid line width

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
MarkBolton
Kobold

Grid line width

Post by MarkBolton »

I am trying to make maps using downloaded images, however the maps I have downloaded have one extra pixel in between each grid square as a line. If it was two pixels, I could just increase the grid size, but no matter what I try I cant get all the squares to match up perfectly.

Is there a way to make the grid lines one pixel thick? Or is there another way to solve this problem?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Grid line width

Post by aliasmask »

Grid is always the same thickness. Many maps have hand drawn grids and are not mathematically even and there isn't much you can do about that. You can use the auto-resize tool to get a pretty good average. Since your map has grid lines and if they don't match up perfectly, then you can turn off the grid. Movement should be good enough to keep you with the squares. You can also turn off the snap to grid.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Grid line width

Post by Full Bleed »

MarkBolton wrote:
Mon Nov 30, 2020 9:50 am
I am trying to make maps using downloaded images, however the maps I have downloaded have one extra pixel in between each grid square as a line. If it was two pixels, I could just increase the grid size, but no matter what I try I cant get all the squares to match up perfectly.

Is there a way to make the grid lines one pixel thick? Or is there another way to solve this problem?
Aside from adjusting the maps offset using Map>Adjust Grid you can try to adjust the original map grid to be "square" and find out what the native "Pixels per Cell" is to get a perfect import into MT.

You do that by using an image editing program. Some of the terms below might not match with your image editor perfectly. And in the interest of making this easy, I'm not going to get too deep in the weeds about making the best image. But it should help you get where you need to go.

1) Open map in your image editing program.
2) Count the number of squares the map is supposed to have horizontally (X grids) and vertically (Y grids). Bet certain to get these numbers correct.
3) Open the "Image Size" editor in your editing program. Makes sure "Image Resampling" is turned off. You don't want to do any hard adjustments to the image yet. You just want the image to be displaying the image parameters in a format that you can more easily edit and use in MT.
4) Set the Document Size/Image to use Inches if it isn't already.
5) Set the Width of the Image to match the X Grid count you took in step 2.
6) Now select "Resample Image" and make sure "Constrain/Maintain Proportions" is turned OFF. Both of these two settings are essential.
7) Next, enter the Y Grid count into the Height field. Important: The Width should not have changed if you have done step 6 correctly.
8) Look at what the current resolution of the image is. If it's not a whole number round down. So if it's 58.6 round it to 58. Write this number down. This is the "Pixels per Cell" you're going to use in MT.
9) Verify: So far you're still looking at the "Image Size" numbers you've just adjusted. The Width in Inches should match the X grid count. The Height in Inches should match the Y grid count. And the resolution of the image should be whole number. If all of this it true...
10) Click Apply/OK to allow the image editing program to adjust the image.
11) Save the file with a new name. I suggest that you append the dpi number you set in step 8. So "House.jpg" becomes something like "House [58dpi].jpg".

Once you've done this, importing the map into MT will be simple. Just make sure that you set the "Pixels per Cell" properly when doing so and the map will line up perfectly in MT and you won't have to make any adjustments to the image.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”