Solutions to my isometric problems

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Bhoritz
Giant

Solutions to my isometric problems

Post by Bhoritz »

It has been a very long time since I used isometric representation on Maptool.
I had turned to Tabletop Simulator mostly, but, finally, the two problems that I had with iso were not so impossible to solve.

Namely, the lack of tokens (and figures with orientations, not standing without rotating), and the hidden places in isometric maps (I mean places hidden by a vertical element, but where a token could normally be placed).

While the system is simple, I made a long explanation on my blog, but the result is this:

As I have not been on the forum for a long time, it is possible that everyone has already found a better solution. Just let me know.

moonmilk
Kobold

Re: Solutions to my isometric problems

Post by moonmilk »

Very cool post!! Thanks for sharing this! I've wondered if tokens and backgrounds could interact like this so it's awesome to see. Seems a bit tedious to manually paint sections white then overlay a transparent image though. I'm also curious if there are another solutions.

Also, I'd love to see more support/options for isometric. It would be cool if MT could record the Z-order of images on screen and sort images automatically. So it knew when you're behind a pillar and when you're in front.

Bhoritz
Giant

Re: Solutions to my isometric problems

Post by Bhoritz »

The work involved can be limited if you do the whole map at once. But, it is still work. That's why I'll probably add a fifth and sixth view of the token (a top-down and a portrait) to be able to use the same token on multiple styles of maps. I would also love to be able to make more things with the z-order info. I am not sure that it is possible though. I have not made macros for a long time. And my knowledge of it is a little rusty.

Return to “MapTool”