How to persist characters from map to map, campaign to campaign

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
jenx337
Kobold

How to persist characters from map to map, campaign to campaign

Post by jenx337 »

I have been using MapTool for some three months now, running a game of Traveller. I have not yet discovered how to manage characters. As the subject line says, I want to persist the characters, PCs and NPCs, from map to map and from campaign file to campaign file.

Currently my understanding is that I add a token to a scene and then enter a character record directly on that token. If I want the same character to re-appear on another map, the only options I see are (1) enter the character record manually on each map, or (2) copy and paste the token from one map to the next. The first option is obviously untenable, but the second is not much better. Copy and paste is error prone and does not scale.

Is there a facility in MapTool for keeping persistent character records? And for keeping the token data synchronized with the persistent copy?

bubblobill
Giant

Re: How to persist characters from map to map, campaign to campaign

Post by bubblobill »

The token is the character record unless you are doing weird things.

If you don't trust cut/copy/paste, save frequently :D

Alternately you can automate the process using
Wiki: moveTokenToMap()
or
Wiki: moveTokenFromMap()
or
Wiki: copyToken()

or
Make players save their tokens. You can drag saved tokens from the filesystem onto a map.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

jenx337
Kobold

Post by jenx337 »

"Save the tokens" was what I was looking for -- thanks. I had been looking for this capability, but I looked in the wrong spots: the main menus and the token dialog. After reading your message, I finally found the Save menu item in the token's right-click menu. Problem solved -- mostly.

Are there function for saving and loading the tokens as well? I don't see anything promising in the list of functions. http://wiki.rptools.info/index.php/Cate ... o_Function

bubblobill
Giant

Post by bubblobill »

Nope.
You won't find any macro functionality (at present) that interacts with the filesystem.
Bubblobill on the forum.
@Reverend on the MapTool Discord Server

Responsible for less atrocities than most... I do accept responsibility for these though: SmartDoors, Simple d20 Framework - barebones, Drop-in: All 3.5 SRD Monsters, Drop in: Simple Character Editor, Battletech Framework

Return to “MapTool”