Drawing circle from center doesn't work - any tips?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tana
Kobold

Drawing circle from center doesn't work - any tips?

Post by Tana »

Hi all,

I'm new to MapTool and am trying to draw my first map which - unfortunately - contains some circular shapes on the background layer.

According to the documentation and "hint bar" on the bottom of the program window it is possible to draw an oval from center by pressing "alt" on the keyboard. This works for pulling the oval across the screen from a center point but while keeping alt pressed the program does not accept any left mouse key input to finish the circle and draw it on the map. I am stuck at pulling the circle across the map and can't get it drawn since I can't finish the input.

I tried keeping alt pressed while pulling the circle, then letting go of alt and clicking left. But doing so saves a circle drawn from "corner" to my map. So the problem seems to be that MapTool does not accept any left mouse input while alt is being pressed.

So my really basic question: how do I finish drawing a circle from center?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Re: Drawing circle from center doesn't work - any tips?

Post by aliasmask »

I have no problem doing as you say on MapTool version 1.7.0. I tested it on all the layers. You do have to have your mouse pointer on the map and not over a frame. I tested this on a blank campaign. Could there be another program in the background running having to do with your mouse that could be preventing this?

Tana
Kobold

Post by Tana »

I am using MapTool 1.7.0 as well (on Linux). It's weird because I don't have any problems with circles drawn from corner. But those are so much more difficult to position as I want them. Is there a way to move a drawing? I haven't found one, yet, but that would also solve the problem.

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

There's no way to move a drawing that I know of. Someday, they'll be treated like objects, but not any time soon. I don't see that the issue is with MapTool but that you can't hold Alt and Left mouse click. Have you tried doing this on a blank campaign?

Tana
Kobold

Post by Tana »

Yes, I tried in a new and completely empty campaign. It's the same issue. Guess I should try to find someone who uses Linux (Debian) to see if this might be an OS-based problem...

LarryWoestman
Cave Troll

Post by LarryWoestman »

I run Debian. I checked the default keyboard shortcuts and didn't find one pre-defined for Alt-left-mouse-button. You might check your keyboard shortcuts (in the Settings app, Details->Keyboard) and see if you happen to have one. It is also possible that some other application running on your computer has assigned the keyboard shortcut to that application.

LarryWoestman
Cave Troll

Post by LarryWoestman »

I also verified that I could use either "Alt" key with the left mouse button to complete drawing a circle in MapTool 1.7. You might try using the "Alt" key on the right side of the space bar and see if it works any differently.

Return to “MapTool”