Map not loading for some players

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
popanas
Kobold

Map not loading for some players

Post by popanas »

Hi,

I've noticed over the past couple of month that sometimes one or two of my players cannot load a map if the map picture used is too big. It ends up showing as a red X.

At first we thought it was the player's PC that was causing issue since it was pretty old, but last week one of my other player had the same issue, but his PC is new of this year so it cannot be the same issue.

I'm wondering if there's any way to either improve the issue on my side or if there's some way my players can force a reload of the pictures (if possible in an easy to use macro since they are not all tech savvy)

metatheurgist
Dragon

Re: Map not loading for some players

Post by metatheurgist »

First thing to check is that your players are using the same MT settings that you are.

popanas
Kobold

Post by popanas »

I'm checking with them, but let's assume it's the case. What would be the next thing to check?

aliasmask
RPTools Team

Post by aliasmask »

You can have them clear their cache as well then reload MapTool. Also, avoid big map images. Make sure they are of the jpg format. I currently don't have any maps that are bigger than 54megs and 17000x10000 pixels which is 340x200 grid squares if you want a comparison of what is big. I recall having slightly bigger maps work at around 70megs but that was pushing it, even for my 32bit photo editor.

popanas
Kobold

Post by popanas »

Ok so my issue might have been that the image was in png instead of jpg.

The png was 120mb big (a whole town)

Return to “MapTool”