Help requested for setting up a server

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Tiemeau
Kobold

Help requested for setting up a server

Post by Tiemeau »

Hello all.
I've used an older version of maptool (1.7 I think) a while ago and setting up a server worked fine. My friends were able to connect to the server I setup back then. Now I've updated to version 1.8.3 and My friends can't connect to my server anymore. I'm on windows 10, and using an ethernet cable. If I want to setup a server using UPnP I get an error message:
UPnP Error - No Internet Gateway Devices found.
UPnP port mapping will not be available

So then I tried starting a server without UPnP.
I forwarded port 51234 and also made sure to reserve an IP adress for my laptop's ethernet connection.
I can connect fine via LAN, but my friends are getting a 'connection timed out' message.
I double checked the adresses in maptool under 'connection information'.
I doubt it's a problem with my ISP as I haven't changed ISP's since last time my friends were able to connect.
I've also searched this forum for a solution but I haven't found one yet. If there's another thread that gives a solution to this problem I apologize.
I've also seen the PDF file posted by Azhrei. Step 6 of the Step-by-Step Problem Diagnosis seems to talk about the problem I'm experiencing. It's not a double NAT problem either, as I only have 1 modem which I'm directly connected to via ethernet.
Any help is greatly appreciated.

Tiemeau
Kobold

Re: Help requested for setting up a server

Post by Tiemeau »

Hi Wolph, thank you for your reply.
I did some further investigating and it turned out for some reason my firewall was blocking TCP protocol for public profiles for maptools. Allowing those connections apparently fixed the issue.
Thanks for your help!

Return to “MapTool”