Soft Fog Opacity ... not working?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
Teferi
Kobold

Soft Fog Opacity ... not working?

Post by Teferi »

So, I have a Problem. I want Soft-Fog to be opaque; for Reasons. I realized something when connecting as a GM and as a Player onto my Server (which is run for reasons of me travelling before covid regularly on a virtual machine in a cloud as to guarantee access from anywhere and stable connection for the players - teamspeak and fantasygrounds is also hosted there, I can connect from a notebook even and with the shittiest internet and still run stable sessions - I recommend it!)

Anyways I noticed that when changing the "Fog Opacity" Setting Serverside, nothing happened clientside. So I saved the campaign, closed maptool serverside, restarted it, rehosted the server, connected again ... and still the same problem. I though maybe it was due to me being logged in as a GM (even tho Serverside Opacity DID get adjusted the way I liked!) ; however connecting as a player did not help either. So maybe it was a problem with my machine and some settings? Nope, I get the same translucent soft-fog on my gaming notebook.

Eventually I figured something out: When I host the server and set the fog opacity to 255, which is opaque per the Wiki, this value is not inherited by clients connecting onto the server, not by players and neither by GMs. Is this a Bug? Am I just too stupid? Vaguely I remember a half dozen years ago or so, that there was an option when starting up a server to force clients to inherit server settings - but this option is no longer available in 1.8.5

I would very much like for soft fog to be opaque - especially for my players.

What do I do?

Pictures attached:
FirstRealizationOfError
FirstRealizationOfError
Softfog001.jpg (128.95 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
Error on different machines
Error on different machines
SoftFog.jpeg (84.02 KiB) Viewed 1982 times
this setting not inherited
this setting not inherited
SoftFog003.jpg (212.99 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Soft Fog Opacity ... not working?

Post by wolph42 »

opague soft fog == hard fog
in other words, just rest the FoW after each move. it requires a macro to do this, but you can also install the bot (drag the two lib tokens onto the map) and turn 'reset fow on move' on in the bot settings (link in sig)

Teferi
Kobold

Post by Teferi »

wolph42 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:13 am
in other words, just rest the FoW after each move. it requires a macro to do this, but you can also install the bot (drag the two lib tokens onto the map) and turn 'reset fow on move' on in the bot settings (link in sig)
thanks man! This was REALLY helpful! :-)

Tho it would be nice if the opacity setting for the soft fog were just inherited by clients from the server

THANK YOU ALOT! :-)

Teferi
Kobold

Post by Teferi »

wolph42 wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:13 am

I wanna feed this back: There is significant deviation inbetween the naming convention in your video / quick installation guide, and what is contained in the .zip - which is not a problem ; what is maybe a problem is, that I cannot Drag and Drop the "Bag of Tricks Macros" ; exporting it from the "Selection" Screen and Importing it into macros does not prompt the Window seen in the Video to open up! :-)

But this Bag of Tricks looks hella awesome - I will definitely keep trying to make it work with the video and your installation guide ! :-)

edit:

So I suspect what you mean with " 'reset fow on move' " is -> Bag of Tricks Macros -> Settings -> Tab:General Events -> "After Token is Moved" :: Excl FoW Maps ???
[[edit2:]] Nevermind, it is literally named "Restore Fow" under Bag of Tricks Macros -> Settings -> Tab:Toggles -> "Restore FoW"
this, however, as soon as a Token is de-selected, also shows the standard view with soft-Fog in previously explored areas, the "hard fog" view is only shown while a specific token is selected.

It still leaves me with the Soft Fog though, and does not actually restore the Hard Fog properly? I kinda suspect I am just too dumb for this :-D

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

Teferi wrote:
Thu Jun 03, 2021 3:50 am
It still leaves me with the Soft Fog though, and does not actually restore the Hard Fog properly? I kinda suspect I am just too dumb for this :-D
The BoT is a pretty complex dropin. And you probably also need to be sure you fully understand how the lighting/vision/FoW/soft fog, etc. works before using some of its features.

Past that, you should take any questions directly related to the BoT to the BoT's forum thread... or you can try Discord.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”