Stack size issue in 1.9.3

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
xavram
Dragon

Stack size issue in 1.9.3

Post by xavram »

Downloaded 1.9.3 and was running it through my framework, to make sure there aren't any gotchas before my players try it.

My min heap size is 1G, max is 4G, and thread stack size is 8M. This is what we've always run at and haven't hadn't any issues.

However, when I load our campaign into 1.9.3 and try any of our macros, I get...

A stack overflow has occurred.

This is commonly because a macro being used has exceeded the stack space specified when MapTool was executed.

Please specify a larger stack size for MapTool and run again.

Like I said, everything has run just fine in 1.8.3 (our current version) and I would like to get upgraded. Is this just a matter of increasing the 8M stack size? Is there a "standard" stack size now, larger than the 8M I have ours set to?

Thanks!

xavram
Dragon

Re: Stack size issue in 1.9.3

Post by xavram »

Just tried increasing it to 12M, still get stack overflow errors on macros.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:
Sat Aug 14, 2021 6:27 pm
Just tried increasing it to 12M, still get stack overflow errors on macros.
I'm afraid your report is a bit too non-specific to be of much use. When you say "on macros" you mean all of them? That alone, doesn't sound right because even if you do have low stack issues due to something changing in a version it would most certainly only affect certain macros... not all of them.

And if there was suddenly a version change caused issue, then the offending macros could be looked at to compare with what updated to see what changed.

Are you sure you've set your mem and stack size correctly in 1.9.3? I think the syntax changed in 1.9.x. You might want to share your 1.9.3 config file so someone can look at it.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

FB, it does seem to be all the macros. If I open the campaign in 1.8.3, everything works. in 1.9.3, 90% of the macros run from the character or the GM tab throw the stack overflow error.

When I got to Preferences->Startup in 1.9.3, I can see the 1G, 4G, 8M settings, so I "think" I have my config set up correctly. However, I have attached it here if someone could double check it.

I have the options set here as...

[JavaOptions]
-Xms1G
-Xmx4G
-Xss12M

I know that the 1.9.3 files have a slightly different format...
[JavaOptions]
java-options=-Djpackage.app-version=1.0

But when i tried that format, the options don't show in Maptool itself after a restart of MT.

Thanks!
Attachments
MapTool.txt
MT Config
(14.68 KiB) Downloaded 48 times

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

Hmmm...i've never actually used the MT discord channel. When I go there, I see nothing...?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

xavram wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:56 pm
Hmmm...i've never actually used the MT discord channel. When I go there, I see nothing...?
strange, there are about 4000 active users so it should say something. Anyhoot I updated the link in my sig: https://discord.gg/jWVDHCku try again

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

So I went and tried one more thing, i updated the setting in config using the current syntax.

When I launched MT, those settings no longer showed in the Preferences->Startup window (blank for those boxes) but I no longer get the stack size errors when I call my macros. Everything seems to be working fine...except the display.

It does say that it was unable to load the config from the install location and that they would have to be updated manually. If you install it to custom location (as I did), is it not able to load them into the UI?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 11:20 am
It does say that it was unable to load the config from the install location and that they would have to be updated manually. If you install it to custom location (as I did), is it not able to load them into the UI?
What OS are you using?

Something strange seems to be going on... If it can't load the config, but things are now working after editing the config... then I'm not sure what changed... not sure I trust what's being reported.

It seems like MT thinks you have a permissions issue with that install directory...
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

OS is Win 10

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

xavram wrote:
Mon Aug 16, 2021 5:20 pm
OS is Win 10
I'd try uninstalling from the current location and then installing to a notably "unprotected" location. Something like:

c:\Maptool\1.9.3\

xavram
Dragon

Post by xavram »

I'll play around with install locations this week and let you know

Return to “MapTool”