Track real tokens for ARVTT

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
RoshaBeli
Kobold

Track real tokens for ARVTT

Post by RoshaBeli »

I use maptool with a ceiling projector pointing to a table, i like to mix real tokens, it really blends well imo. What would be awsome was if i could play online with this set up, and others could just use maptool.

How hard would it be to have some way to track real tokens (a bar code ring under the mini and a webcam) and move the respective maptool token?

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Track real tokens for ARVTT

Post by wolph42 »

there are actually already tables and systems out there that do this, but I don't think that there's a proper integration with MT.

Overall I also don't think its really feasible for the core team to pick this up, simply cause the demand is really low and the setup requires quite an investment. Next to that its definitely not trivial to create this.

That said, if you can find a developer who is willing to implement this, MT is open source so this kind of stuff can be added!

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: Track real tokens for ARVTT

Post by Full Bleed »

wolph42 wrote:
Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:53 am
Overall I also don't think its really feasible for the core team to pick this up, simply cause the demand is really low and the setup requires quite an investment. Next to that its definitely not trivial to create this.
I agree. I see the design process going something like this:

The first step: Camera to MT data path. This might be the easiest part to get up and running with existing libraries. It's get a lot harder from here on out.

Second step: Image recognition. Would need to be able to read tiny barcodes/QR codes or have some other kind of image recognition to track objects. I suspect that full table coverage would require more than one camera.

Third step: Logic to know what to do with those objects and properly associate them with standard MT assets (i.e. when you move something in RL it moves something in MT.)

Fourth step: UI updates to accommodate the new functionality.

Some other notes:

1) A projector would not be required. You could still use this with a glass top table, camera's below, and a TV to the side. The table becomes a kind of an "art pad" for the traditional MT display (TV/Monitor). This diminishes the cost of entry to using the feature.

2) This could open the door to manual dice roll recognition... a feature that would probably be even more popular to the masses that this.

All of that said, as Wolph said, this is non-trivial and would require a dev with a fairly particular skill-set and interest in this. Doable? Yes. Likely? Without private funding, I'm not optimistic.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”