Default JVM Heap Settings

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
RedDog
Dragon

Default JVM Heap Settings

Post by RedDog »

I am struggling to find the default JVM heap settings for MapTools. When I check the Startup section under the Preferences, the fields are empty. I also had difficulty finding the settings on the wiki or in the forum. I am using the MapTools launcher with Windows10.

I was able to find was the Stack Size (-Xss) in the MapTools.cfg file.
What is the default for the Min / Max heap size (-Xms / -Xmx)?

Also (if you know), since there are fields in the Startup is it intentional that they are unpopulated for non-default values or should they be displaying the launch values?

Thank you.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Re: Default JVM Heap Settings

Post by wolph42 »

this is what i communicate with my players after a MT update:

Locate the maptool.cfg file under the app folder in your MapTool install directory.
usually C:\Users[NAME]\AppData\Local\MapTool8\app\MapTool.cfg

Under [JavaOptions set the following:
-Xmx8G
-Xms1G
-Xss8M

the default xmx is 4G, but im using a rather asset heavy campaign which results in red X for some of my players, hence i upped that part to 8. YMMV!

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

wolph42 wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:18 am
Locate the maptool.cfg file under the app folder in your MapTool install directory.
usually C:\Users[NAME]\AppData\Local\MapTool8\app\MapTool.cfg

Under [JavaOptions set the following:
-Xmx8G
-Xms1G
-Xss8M

the default xmx is 4G, but im using a rather asset heavy campaign which results in red X for some of my players, hence i upped that part to 8. YMMV!
Thanks wolph42. That is helpful to know in case someone runs into memory problems. It would be annoying to need to raise the launch parameters when you don't know what the current launch parameters are...I will use your 'defaults' as well.

Just a side note though...either you are using the java version or the MapTools.cfg has changed locations. I use the installed version which has the Maptools.cfg located in the Maptools/app folder.

I assume you have no idea if the Settings/Startup fields are supposed to show the values used at launch? That would be a helpful point of reference.

wolph42
Winter Wolph

Post by wolph42 »

RedDog wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 am
I assume you have no idea if the Settings/Startup fields are supposed to show the values used at launch? That would be a helpful point of reference.
you're assumption is correct!

RedDog
Dragon

Post by RedDog »

RedDog wrote:
Mon Oct 18, 2021 6:41 am
Just a side note though...either you are using the java version or the MapTools.cfg has changed locations. I use the installed version which has the Maptools.cfg located in the Maptools/app folder.
I take back my comment. While doing an upgrade I realized that I has chosen a custom install location. As wolph said above, C:\Users[NAME]\AppData\Local\MapTool8\app\ is the default location for MapTool.cfg.

Return to “MapTool”