quick fix for running on Linux when jar doesn't work?

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
ShannonGabriel
Kobold

quick fix for running on Linux when jar doesn't work?

Post by ShannonGabriel »

I want to leave this here for anyone who comes after me having trouble getting MapTools to run on Linux. The jar proved impossible for me to get running no matter what version of java I used even with JavaFX. There is a dirty fix though. Just extract the Maptool folder from the official deb using your favorite archive manager (I used Ark). It includes working binary dependencies for maptools.

The deb structure is maptool.deb/data.tar.xz/opt/MapTool/ . Simply extract that folder and run MapTool. I hope that saves you some time so you don't have to spend hours trying to get the jar to run like I did.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: quick fix for running on Linux when jar doesn't work?

Post by Full Bleed »

ShannonGabriel wrote:
Tue Nov 23, 2021 7:11 am
I want to leave this here for anyone who comes after me having trouble getting MapTools to run on Linux. The jar proved impossible for me to get running no matter what version of java I used even with JavaFX. There is a dirty fix though. Just extract the Maptool folder from the official deb using your favorite archive manager (I used Ark). It includes working binary dependencies for maptools.

The deb structure is maptool.deb/data.tar.xz/opt/MapTool/ . Simply extract that folder and run MapTool. I hope that saves you some time so you don't have to spend hours trying to get the jar to run like I did.
Not a Linux guy, but MT has its own self contained java install now so you don't need java installed at all.

Maybe your other Java installs were the problem.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Return to “MapTool”