VPN and "java.net.SocketException Permission denied: connect" at launch

Thoughts, Help, Feature Requests, Bug Reports, Developing code for...

Moderators: dorpond, trevor, Azhrei

Forum rules
PLEASE don't post images of your entire desktop, attach entire campaign files when only a single file is needed, or generally act in some other anti-social behavior. :)
AstralWanderer
Kobold

VPN and "java.net.SocketException Permission denied: connect" at launch

Post by AstralWanderer »

I'm on MapTool 1.10.2. It's working perfectly, per se.

However, a couple days ago I started trying a VPN (NordVPN) for the first time, and when I launch MapTool (not when I start a server) with the VPN active, it opens but gives this "java.net.SocketException Permission denied: connect" message.
After that, I can't even close MapTools, as it gives a series of errors and remains open unless I kill the process from the Task manager.

I tried putting both MapTool and every file in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin in the list of allowed applications for the VPN, but it didn't change anything.

Googling, I found no answer that I could use (either too technical or not explaining exactly what and where to do stuff), and I don't even know if they'd apply for the MapTool case.

Any suggestion to run MapTool normally without having to completely shut down the VPN?

Full Bleed
Demigod

Re: VPN and "java.net.SocketException Permission denied: connect" at launch

Post by Full Bleed »

AstralWanderer wrote:
Fri Dec 24, 2021 8:18 am
I'm on MapTool 1.10.2. It's working perfectly, per se.

However, a couple days ago I started trying a VPN (NordVPN) for the first time, and when I launch MapTool (not when I start a server) with the VPN active, it opens but gives this "java.net.SocketException Permission denied: connect" message.
After that, I can't even close MapTools, as it gives a series of errors and remains open unless I kill the process from the Task manager.

I tried putting both MapTool and every file in C:\Program Files\Java\jre7\bin in the list of allowed applications for the VPN, but it didn't change anything.

Googling, I found no answer that I could use (either too technical or not explaining exactly what and where to do stuff), and I don't even know if they'd apply for the MapTool case.

Any suggestion to run MapTool normally without having to completely shut down the VPN?
You might want to take this question to the Maptool "Networking" Discord channel. I can't imagine that no one is using a VPN.

https://discord.com/channels/2962308222 ... 9548875786
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

AstralWanderer
Kobold

Post by AstralWanderer »

Mh, thanks, but at that link it tells me "no channel found or you don't have access to the channels", and searching for some server related to MapTool or RPTools gives me no result.

Full Bleed
Demigod

Post by Full Bleed »

AstralWanderer wrote:
Mon Dec 27, 2021 5:05 pm
Mh, thanks, but at that link it tells me "no channel found or you don't have access to the channels", and searching for some server related to MapTool or RPTools gives me no result.
Sorry about that... I thought I could link directly to the channel on the server. Here is a basic invite: https://discord.gg/ctsbBS3W

Once in, check out the #Networking channel.
Maptool is the Millennium Falcon of VTT's -- "She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts."

Azhrei
Site Admin

Post by Azhrei »

I presume you're on Windows. (Even if you're not, the concept described next applies to other platforms, too.)

Your VPN software is creating multiple network interfaces that act as tunnels over your physical network. (That's what a VPN is/does.) It may create more than one. One that is invalid may end up being at the top of the "network binding order" (the Windows name for it; macOS calls it the "service order"; I don't recall the Linux name right now). MapTool tries to bind to whichever network interface is at the top of that list and there's no way for the user to specify otherwise.

I thought there might've been a post in Discord that linked to the Windows instructions for changing the binding order, but I don't see it. A search here on the forum brings up this post which mentions Windows 8; obviously, there will be slight differences from one release of Windows to the next.

You can always Google for "networking binding order" for your operating system and version.

If you try this and it still doesn't work, reply back here. I'll monitor this thread.

AstralWanderer
Kobold

Post by AstralWanderer »

Azhrei wrote:
Wed Dec 29, 2021 1:20 pm
You can always Google for "networking binding order" for your operating system and version.
I'm on Windows 10.
Following this guide https://www.windowscentral.com/how-chan ... windows-10 I tried to set the order of my connection to 1 (values accepted are from 1 to 9999), but nothing changed for MapTool, so for now I reverted to the default settings.

Return to “MapTool”